The Antidote of Fear is Action

April 8, 2020

And so here I am. Doing the thing that I’ve been afraid to do for awhile. It sounds silly and trivial but for a year or two, or six, whatever, I’ve been telling myself that I don’t know how to do this anymore. And by “this” I mean writing a blog post for the sake of writing, sharing my immature silly thoughts, writing like I used to like it was my girlfriend on the other side of the screen. I used to make myself laugh out loud while I’d write. I couldn’t wait to sit down and just release all of my thoughts and feelings every evening, wondering where my brain and fingers would go, wondering how long it would take for my husband or dad to tell me after hitting publish “do you really think you should say that?!’ Yes, yes I should. I don’t even think those two men read this blog anymore, THAT’S HOW BORING MY WORDS HAVE BECOME, NO MODERATION NECESSARY.

Right now with all that is going on in the world, I’ve been given the gift of extra time. I no longer have an excuse as to why I can’t do what I used to do and love. Does this sound familiar to you? You’ve been presented with the opportunity to have to get honest with yourself of why you have been avoiding things that you told yourself before “you were avoiding because you didn’t have the time to do.” Organizing your basement is a different story. Don’t tempt yourself that you should do that now. You shouldn’t. It’s not fun, I can testify. Anyhow, because of this I’ve been having to get deeper with myself about why I have been avoiding showing up here in an un-planned, un-edited, way.

Every once in awhile I get lost in the archives from 2011 – 2014 and I miss desperately the person that was on the other side of the screen. I read it almost like I’m reading a stranger’s words, telling myself “you don’t even know who that person is anymore, you don’t know how to be funny, you’ve lost your spontaneous quirky ways, you run a business now that you have a responsibility to, writing about how you ate too much chicken fried rice last night doesn’t turn a profit, you have to be careful about what you say because your audience is bigger and you don’t want to upset anybody, your audience only wants to know about what you’re wearing and whether or not it’s on sale, YOU CAN’T DO THIS.”

Gosh my inner voices are annoying, wine can’t even shut ’em up anymore. Long story short, I’ve gotten to the heart [and the fear] of the matter and it’s just that – I have a fear of trying to do what I once loved here because I don’t believe I can. So how about we kick those thoughts in the crotch, yes? Yes. Dang it just felt good to write crotch on my blog. WELCOME BACK.

Long story short, I’m vowing to myself [and now to you so help a girl out and keep me accountable because I suck at vows, it is literally a miracle that I’m still married] that I’m going to actively practice creative writing over the next 30 days to simply re-teach myself how to do this. Some days I might hit publish, some days I might keep it saved as a draft, but the important thing in this equation is that I AM DOING IT. Fear doesn’t hold a candle to action [unless it’s a really, really, really good smelling candle that might distract you away from doing the thing in which case, fear does hold a candle to it]. Things might get weird and I hope they do. I’ll know we’re on the right track again when that day comes…

1. Jessie Stringer says:

Good for you!! I think most people relate those who are honest & real 🙂 Looking forward to what you have to say!

2. Christine says:

Your honesty and ‘keeping it real’ is what drew me to your blog, please keep it up????

3. Kelly F says:

Yes! I miss the old days of the blog— the funny stories, the hilarity of daily life. I began reading and following for you… not the clothes or the sales. Maybe these times can be a fresh start for all us, in whatever areas we need.

4. Lisa Brinkhaus says:

Yea! I found your blog a few years ago and I loved your quirky silly blogs. They were so relatable. I am so amazed by the success you have had but to be honest miss the post that weren’t so “sponsor driven”. I get it though, it’s a business. “High fives” to you. Look forward to reading and hopefully you post them.

5. Lori Vaz says:

I hope it gets weird too. It’s exciting. Sign me up!!

6. Megan says:

Not that I dont love the outfit/makeup/home styling info but I’ve been around for a few years now and I love the funny and real stuff the best!

7. Beth Bauch says:

Yes! Love that you’re vowing to get back to your roots! That’s the Erin who first drew me in to the Living In Yellow World!

• kelly ganse says:

I was just getting on here to say the exact same thing. This too, is the Erin I started following. I always looked forward to reading your innermost random thoughts. You have a real gift for writing! I know this is your livelyhood and you’ve had so much success, but I’d much rather get on your page to read your thoughts and opinions more often than seeing the same old same old that every other influencer is promoting. Please keep doing this Erin!

8. Barb says:

Yeah! This is who we fell in love with!

9. KC says:

Yes! I enjoy all the blog posts, but I really love the old ones!

10. Kristin says:

i honestly miss your old blog. It felt more real. Now it just feels like a business.

11. Ashley says:

YAY! You are hilarious and I miss the old blog post!! Blogs are becoming/are so materialistic and fake, and I wish the writers would go back to the good ol’ days. Can’t wait to read more from YOU!

12. Julie says:

BRING IT ON GIRL!! Yes we love to know what you’re wearing and if it’s on sale etc, but let’s be honest, we all need some good belly laughs right about now! I’m looking forward to hearing what’s on your mind!!

13. Megan says:

Love this! Killing it with the attitude girl. Kick life in the crotch, A+????????

14. Robin says:

I love this! I get tired of just hearing about what we should wear and what is on sale. I also loved your spring home tour. Keep these posts coming please.

Robin from Raleigh

15. Peyton Cline says:

So glad you are back!!!! The most memorable blog post I have EVER read was your post where people could make anonymous comments about anything – I laughed so hard! I miss the “old stuff!”

16. Ivey says:

Yay! I miss the blog posts. That’s what originally made me follow you. We don’t have the same taste in fashion, but your blog posts oozed personality and I loved reading them. Especially the ones with all the random thoughts. ???? Can’t wait to read more!

17. Carrie Reichle says:

Love this Erin! God never intended for us to live in fear in any area of our lives! Especially in the simple things like writing a light-hearted funny blog post! I say do it afraid!! And tell fear where it can go!! ???????????????? You’re an inspiration and I love all that you post – keep up the good work!! ❤️

18. Erica says:

Love that you are going to go back to your roots so to speak….please hit publish as you go so that we can ride along! Love your blog regardless!

19. Jill says:

Yes please! When i first started reading your blog, i loved those posts! They were why it kept coming back. It made me feel like i ‘knew’ you, as silly as that sounds, and the posts were hilarious.

I still enjoy your blog, but to be honest, it doesn’t feel as personal as it used to, and i miss that.

Hope we see more posts like this in the future!

20. Kait says:

I was so happy to read this! I truly miss your old blog and writing style.

21. Heather Mayberry says:

Yes! The sarcasm and sometimes inappropriate content is what I was drawn to. You were real and raw and wrote things you weren’t ashamed of. You don’t have to go back to that completely, just sprinkle it into what you already have going on. Your business is like a bowl of pasta and the “old you” (that’s the real you) is the parmesan cheese that goes on top. Keep it up!!

22. Emily R says:

I love this commitment! Even if you just write something and never hit publish, you are still strengthening your writing muscles and creativity. I think your followers will be here for anything you post!

23. Diantha says:

I also miss the chatting from time to time! Just started (joined in!) IG, and love even more hearing your moment chats! Write like you talk, and it will flow right on out again! Love your great energy and vulnerability!

24. Megan says:

I’ve been reading since back then and actually miss those blog posts! Seems like it was so much more simple and down to earth back then! Would love to see that again!

25. Nikki says:

Yay!! Way back when…is when I started reading your blog, and those type of posts are exactly why I still read!! That Erin rocks, and even if your platform is bigger and “different” now, that Erin is still awesome…and all the new folks will think so too! Can’t wait to read more of your old school ramblings in the days to come! 🙂

Bring on summertime, sunshine, and all the Amazon deliveries. Anyone else feeling this way now that it’s all of a sudden May? Where did the first 4 months go? While we may not know where those months went, we do know the Amazon delivery driver visited our homes a few times, and we don’t see […]

When someone on the Living in Yellow team threw out the idea of an office margarita tasting, we couldn’t say “where’s the tequila?” fast enough! Twist our arms, fine, we’ll taste test the margs! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, we wanted to share our three favorites with you so you can sip them […]

If you’re planning a warm weather vacation, I’ve compiled 20+ outfits from our trip – from travel looks all the way down to my flops.

Let’s just say, until we started working on this post, I had no idea that there were different pillows for different sleep positions. I figured it was a one-size fits all approach, maybe just a preference of firm or soft! Well, needless to say, I was way off. I also learned that over 70% of […]