Step inside, we’ve got an office to reveal. If you’ve been following for any length of time you may have seen this past July when we decided to turn a barn that was on our property into the new LIY Headquarters [known as #LIYHQ on Instagram]. Over the past two years I made the decision to quit my job and proclaim Living in Yellow as my full-time job. Since that decision, I have hired six employees which has been nothing short of amazing but has also proved a new need in our business – space. Prior to having this new office space we always operated out of one room [you can see our previous offices here and here]. After realizing we weren’t able to operate as efficiently as we could [there’s just something about not being able to focus when you have a table full of girls] and understanding that the girls on the team could benefit from having their own space and not feel like they are intruding in our home life every time they decide to work from the office, we knew it was time for a next step. Insert the new office.
Let’s keep in mind, our new office is a barn which means it started out as exactly that, a barn. While I had some ideas of the vibe and space I wanted to create, I didn’t even know where to start and understand how I could make it a reality. Insert Modsy. Also known as the unicorn of online interior design made easy. I was blown away by this service and I am so excited to talk in more detail about how it works and why I believe you must use it if you have any desire of designing or re-decorating a space.
How Modsy Works
- You’ll first start by simply choosing the package that you want! Whether you’re doing just one room [think living room, dining room, master bedroom, etc] or multiple rooms — there is an option for whatever your heart desires! Use code LIY20 for 20% off your package of choice [all but Luxe package included]!
- Once you have landed on the room[s] you are going to have Modsy design, you’ll complete a fun to fill out, interactive, style profile so that the Modsy designers can get a good grasp on what you are hoping to achieve in the look of your new space. During this style profile you’ll also be able to set budgets for items they will suggest that are comfortable to your price range.
- Upload photos of the space you’re wanting to have them design along with simple measurements [don’t worry, they provide very easy to follow instructions on what they need]!
- Anxiously away to receive your 3D renderings [side note: these 3D renderings will blow you away as you’ll see from my examples below] and visuals from Modsy! You’ll be able to take a true look around the room and be able to click on the products they are suggesting [and even swap out alternatives if your heart desires]. The classic package offers 2 free redesigns and the other design packages come with unlimited re-designs which means they will keep designing until you are 100% happy.
- Buy the products you want to include in your design [not obligated to any purchase] and start setting it all up! I loved this feature — you are able to add the items to your Modsy cart that they recommend / you love and checkout in ONE spot [no jumping around to all different retailers — this saves so much time and money as they work to find you the BEST price on each piece that they can]! As you’ll see below many of the items I shopped came from some of my favorite home retailers — CB2, West Elm, Crate & Barrel, etc!
- In no time you’ll have a completely new space for you to fall in love with.
Ready to see how Modsy totally transformed our barn from the “before” state to the incredible after?! Follow me…
Come on in, you’re entering the lounge area — in all of the collages you’ll see in today’s blog post, the top is Modsy’s 3D rendering they provided and the photo below it is our finished office! Warning: it may be hard to spot the differences, that’s how realistic their drawings are! Incredible right? Let’s talk about it. I wanted a relaxing place that we could gather and work from the comfort of a couch, while at the office. Who said you can’t have the comforts of home while at work? Modsy captured this concept perfectly by bringing in enough seating for the seven of us in a modern and clean way. I was so excited about some of the unique finds they incorporated into this space, the coffee tables being my favorite of all. Let’s take a look around….
Sources of items in photos above:
- Baxton Studio Sorrento Mid-Century Retro Modern Faux Leather Upholstered Wooden Lounge Chair, Black
- Loloi Mika Area Rug Ivory/Black
- East at Main’s Rolfe Teak Coffee Table, Grey Wash
- “The Big Book of Chic” Book
- Cb2 Large Brass Candle Bowl
- Rivet Modern Round Metal Side End Accent Table, 15″W, Black
- Dotted Geo Framed Prints
- Atlas Wood Floor Lamp
- Cb2 Small Metal Ring Sculpture
- Atlas Natural Wood Table Lamp
- Cb2 Large Metal Ring Sculpture
- Rivet Uptown Mid-CenturyVelvet Tufted Customizable Daybed Sofa, 78″W, Hunter Green & Black
- Allison Handwoven Sheepskin White Area Rug
- Crate & Barrel Prost Medium Marble Drink Table
- Cb2 20″ Clique Black Pillow with Down-Alternative Insert
- Animal Prints
- Sideboard Cabinet
Now that we’ve made our way through the lounge, let’s hop over to my office for a second — first you’ll see what Modsy presented me with and right below it you’ll see how we made it come to real life! Welcome to the home of most mirror selfies and lots of computer / meeting time. Here was the problem when it came to a final vision on what I wanted for my office – all of their designs blew me away [the Modsy designer just got me]. I finally landed on the vision you see above and I can’t believe just how much I love it. It feels incredible to have an office of my own that I can enter, know it’s time to work, and then exit leaving knowing my work is done for the day. This isn’t something I’ve had before in my 9 years of blogging and I’m so excited to finally feel like a “big girl” with a big girls office 😉 While my husband may have wanted to divorce me after I handed off the task of hanging these floating shelves, it was worth the risk. My office is equal parts warm and inviting while still business-like and professional. I loved bringing in some artwork and photos to personalize the space a bit. The layered rugs added such a trendy concept that I am loving and this desk, oh this desk [which doubles as a dining table] is everything my cement loving heart could take.
Sources of items from photos above:
- Cb2 Suspend II Media Console
- Salena Navy Area Rug
- Safavieh Natural Fiber Collection NF447A Hand Woven Natural Jute Area Rug (4′ x 6′)
- Aspect Walnut 47.5″ Floating Wall Shelf
- Infinity Floor Mirror
- Cb2 Harper Brass Dining Table with Concrete Top
- Channel Suede Office Chair
- Cb2 Onyx Raw Edge Bowl
- Cb2 Marble Onyx Tea Light Candle Holder
- Cb2 Natural Teak Root
- Cb2 Chelsea White Concrete Box
- Cb2 Roscoe Large Rectangle Metal Basket
- West Elm Metalized Glass USB Table Lamp
- Mid-Century Hook Rack
- Cb2 Victor Leather 24″ Mirror
- Cb2 Faux Olive Tree 4′
- Clear Glass/Paneled Metal and Glass Broadway Barn Door with Installation Hardware Kit
- Photo sign from Joyfully Said Signs – design your own here!
Last but not least — the conference room. As you can see, Modsy provided us with a few designs [first two photos] and in the 3rd photo you’ll see what we crafted from their vision! And now for the room where most of the magic happens, the conference room. This is the room that we use to gather for team meetings to discuss what’s going on, what dreams we can make happen next and most importantly — what we’re going to eat for lunch. One must have a conference room for all food decisions. There were elements we loved from both of the designs that Modsy presented so we decided to take pieces from each to create the space we wanted! The tables [side note: these are dining tables that we just put 2 together!] that Modsy picked are SO fun and have the most eye catching wood detail. I love that they chose conversation starter pieces to weave throughout our entire office.
Sources of items from photos above:
- Cb2 Coyne Credenza
- Cb2 Rouka Black Velvet Office Chair
- ED Ellen DeGeneres Crafted Rug by Loloi BLACK / IVORY KOPA
- Aqua Virgo Burl Dining Table
- Cb2 Marcella Brass Antique Mirror Tray
- Crate & Barrel Infinity Prints, Set of 2
- Agave Plant With Succulents on Drift Wood
- Cb2 Helix 70″ Acacia Bookcase
- Glass/Paneled Metal Concorde Barn Door with Installation Hardware Kit
LIY Team Offices
And for the rest of the office? You can head upstairs to where each of the girls has their individual offices that they designed per their taste [all of which you can see here!] I absolutely love the hallway which fortunately already had this architectural detail when it was in the state of the barn and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out!
And that my friend, completes the end of the tour. I can’t say enough thank you’s to Modsy for truly designing the office of my dreams. Don’t forget to use code LIY20 for 20% off your design package – I can’t wait to see the spaces you make come to life with their help! Get ready to fall in love with your home [or in my case, office] all over again…..