Fall Capsule Wardrobe
It’s that time again — we’re approaching a new season which means it’s time to bust out a new seasonal capsule wardrobe! If you’ve been following along over the past year or two, you’ve probably seen another capsule or twelve on the blog [peep ’em all here] and if you’re new here, you may be thinking “what the WHAT? a fall capsule wardrobe? girlfriend, speak English please.” I get it, I’ve been there – a clueless girl about what in the world a capsule wardrobe is. Have no fear friend, a capsule wardrobe explanation is here!
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
If you aren’t familiar with what a capsule wardrobe is, I’ll quickly explain – a capsule wardrobe is where you take several pieces (15-20) that all work together within your wardrobe to interchange and get creative with. The point behind a capsule wardrobe is to minimize the number of items you have on hand while maximizing the number of ways you can wear each piece. From a creativity standpoint, it’s awesome – a capsule wardrobe will force you to be more intentional about making sure all items work together in multiple ways, which really will make you feel like you have a closet full of options with just a few pieces! This not only creates a lot less headache and time in the morning when deciding what to wear but also saves you money as well. I think we can agree that we like saving on all of the above.
How to Build a Fall Capsule
For our fall capsule wardrobe, we went with a color scheme of deep teal, black, white with some pops of snakeskin [fall’s hottest pattern trend] and plaid. For this capsule, we included five tops that will work for both work and play, three must-have layering pieces, one easy to wear dress, 3 pair of pants, 4 pair of shoes and two accessories to finish it out! With just these 18 items we were able to come up with 35+ different looks for both work and play. Curious what pieces we chose for our capsule? Here you have em’!
Meet the Pieces in the Fall Capsule
- Treasure & Bond Tonal Stripe Long Sleeve Button-Up Shirt // Similar Option: Express Slim Fit Long Sleeve Essential Shirt – Green Envy [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in small] With any good capsule, you need a great button up and this one is no exception! It is easy to layer underneath your other pieces or chic enough to wear alone!
- 1.STATE Keyhole Neck Sheer Sleeve Blouse – White [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in small] This top is slightly on the dressy side which makes it a perfect option for your girls nights or a date night out!
- Madewell Thompson Nautical Stripe Pocket Pullover Sweater [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in small] We all need a great sweater when it comes to our fall wardrobe and this one is an awesome option! It’s slightly oversized which makes it a little easier to pair with your favorite leggings or jeans!
- Halogen® Long Sleeve Modal Blend Tee – Black [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in small] A great layering basic. This is a must-have when it comes to maximizing your capsule wardrobe! This tee can be worn underneath all of your jackets and vests and is so comfy as well!
- BP. Longline Turtleneck Sweater – Green Fern [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in XS] While the sweater we featured in the photos below is now out of stock, this is a close similar option that will achieve the same looks that we put together!
- Something Navy Menswear Jacket [Fit Tip: Size down if in between, I wear in XS] I am obsessed with this menswear plaid for fall and the color palette of this jacket couldn’t work better for our capsule color scheme. This jacket is a great piece for work or play and can be styled so many ways which you’ll see below!
- Liverpool Coated Denim Moto Jacket – Black [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in small] Speaking of being obsessed with a jacket, this one also falls under that category. At first touch I fell in love as the coated material is so buttery soft and this jacket is truly so versatile, whether you dress it up or dress it down, it’s sure to make the perfect statement you’re looking for.
- Karen Kane Reversible Faux Fur Vest – Black [Fit Tip: Size down if in between, I wear in XS] A vest is a must-have when it comes to building a fall capsule wardrobe as fall days can go from cool to warm to cool in a matter of hours. By having a vest with you, you’re able to adapt as the weather changes.
- Chelsea28 Crepe Shift Dress – Black [Fit Tip: True to size, I wear in small] The best basic LBD. I can’t get over just how easy and classic this dress is. Not clingy, a great length and so easy to style a number of ways!
- KUT from the Kloth Donna Ankle Skinny Jeans [Fit Tip: True to size] These jeans have been on HEAVY rotation in my closet the past few weeks and for good reason — they are incredibly comfortable, don’t lose their shape with wear, are now 40% off and are the perfect length to wear with booties all fall long. The wash is also very versatile making them a win!
- Chelsea28 Tie Waist Ankle Pants [Fit Tip: Size up one] We need to have a pair of black pants in the mix for work and while we ordered this pair, I have to admit, I didn’t love them. If I were restyling the capsule, I would order this pair for work! Regardless, just making sure you have a trusty pair of black work pants is a must!
- SPANX® Active Legging – Black [Fit Tip: Size up one] Would it really be a fall capsule wardrobe without leggings in the mix? I think not. Leggings are a must-have for me when it comes to dressing for fall and this pair just so happens to be one of my current favorites. Soft like butter and so smoothing!
- Blondo Evie Riding Waterproof Boot – Black [Fit Tip: True to size] Put the word waterproof on any boot and I am sold. These are so comfortable and will last you for years. They are nice and warm and the waterproof material will keep you dry all fall long!
- Steve Madden Feather Studded Loafer – Tan Snake Print [Fit Tip: Size up .5] I am obsessed with these flats. Snakeskin is so in right now and I don’t hate it one tiny bit. Whether you rock them at work or while out and about, they make a fun statement without being too over the top!
- Vince Camuto Gigietta Bootie – Black [Fit Tip: Size up .5] We all need a great pair of black booties for fall and this pair is a winner! I love the ankle slits for an added detail and they are very comfortable for all day wear!
- Cole Haan GrandPro Spectator 2.0 Slip-On – Black Snake Print [Fit Tip: True to size]
Outfits in the Fall Capsule
First up — six ways to style the Something Navy Menswear Jacket!
Next up, seven ways to rock the Liverpool Coated Denim Moto Jacket!
Dress it up or dress it down, here are five ways to style the Karen Kane Reversible Faux Fur Vest!
Not four, but SEVEN ways to wear this 1.STATE Keyhole Neck Sheer Sleeve Blouse!
Remember the Chelsea28 Crepe Shift Dress I was raving about above? Here are six easy and effortless ways to wear it!
Take your Express Slim Fit Long Sleeve Essential Shirt and play around with it! Here are seven suggestions to get you started!
Whether you rock it with leggings or jeans, this Madewell Thompson Nautical Stripe Pocket Pullover Sweater is adorable either way!
Trying to think outside the box when it comes to styling a sweater? Here are four ways that we put together for the BP. Longline Turtleneck Sweater!