Gibson x Living In Yellow // How The Line Came To Be

March 1, 2018

And to think it all started with a no.

There are a few lessons to learn from today’s story, but before we get into that, let’s start with the story itself. It all started back in late 2016 with this tunic. Maybe that’s the first lesson – buy the darn tunic [believe me, it’s good]. It was my first piece of Gibson Clothing, a brand that is sold at that one store you may have heard me mention a time or two..thousand, Nordstrom. I wore that tunic and wore that tunic and shared it with my readers [that’s you, see YOU are in this story! In fact,  you’re probably the biggest part of this story] an obnoxious amount of times, mostly over on Facebook, the home of all kitchen mirror selfie outfit pics [keepin’ it classy since 1986]. Well, it turned out that a few of you took my word on just how good the tunic was and purchased it for yourself. From there, I continued to buy a piece or three of Gibson clothing, sealing the deal that this was a brand I wanted to wear and wear often. I blame the cozy fleece – it’s always the comfy stuff that sucks me in. While I knew nothing about the brand itself, I did know that I liked the clothes and for this simple girl, that’s all I really needed to know. Or so I thought…

Fast forward to June 2017, when the team and I receive an email from a gentleman on Stylebuy’s behalf [cliff notes: Stylebuy is the company that owns Gibson + a few other incredible brands ie: Olivia Moon and Harlowe + Graham] asking if we would be interested in a doing a blog post collaboration for this blazer. Here’s where the no comes into play. I don’t know if the email caught me at the forefront of that little womanly monthly visitor or if our office was too hot and I was sweating my head off and most likely hungry or if I was just genuinely going delusional [this is most likely the winner] but whatever the case, I said no. Not because I didn’t love the blazer, gosh I love that blazer, but because I had every other excuse oozing out of me, my favorite go-to being the “we’re too busy!” one. It turned out that this gentleman was a persistent awesome employee and asked to jump on a call so we could talk it out. Five minutes later the blazer was on its way to Indiana and within a few days, the blog post was up. Fast forward a week or two later and the same gentleman emailed asking if we could hop on a call to talk to his boss, Suzie. I had no clue why but because I had already learned to never say no to him again, I said yes.

Here’s where things get exciting — Suzie turned out to be this incredible superwoman who possesses all of those things that we want to be: brilliant, creative, hilarious, kind and a dreamer. I like dreamers.

It was during this phone call that Suzie explained how she started a company, Stylebuy, which now has the three brands I mentioned above under its umbrella. I confessed my love for all things Gibson and was so inspired by her accomplishments of starting her own brands that I very [very] nervously decided to ask the question — “I know this is going to sound ridiculous and I know it would never actually happen, but if I ever wanted to look into starting a clothing line, is that something you could help with?!” And then I waited for her to laugh in my face, but the laughing never happened. So then I started sweating. Within a few seconds, Suzie had rattled off something about potentially trying a Gibson and Living In Yellow collaboration. It was at this moment in time where I tried to play it cool  [like I have these types of conversations every day…] instead of blurting out “ARE YOU CRAZY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? JUST FOUR MONTHS AGO I WAS STILL STAPLING MY FALLEN OUT HEMS ON MY WORK PANTS AND COLORING THEM WITH A SHARPIE MARKER TO BLEND IN AND NOW YOU THINK I SHOULD DO A COLLABORATION ON A COLLECTION WITH YOU? YOU ARE INSANE WOMAN?” but instead quietly fist pumped and played the air guitar while listening to what else she had to say. During this conversation, she had mentioned that Becca [LIY Creative Director] and I should come out to her showroom in LA sometime. Lucky for her, California is my favorite state in the U S of A so yeah, I agreed that would be a good idea 😉

In August, we walked into that showroom. The only other time I had been in a showroom was when I went to my local car dealership to get an oil change, so you could imagine my excitement when this one had adorable clothes that didn’t smell like grease. It was here we started really talking about if we could make this happen and what we would want it to look like if it did come to fruition. I left LA thinking one thing “this crazy dream might actually come true….”

Over the next couple of months, the team and I got busy putting together ideas for pieces that we would want to create with Gibson. We looked through spring color trends, patterns that were making us excited, materials that we felt good in and of course — listened really closely to what our readers were asking for.Between countless back and forth of CAD drawings, FaceTime calls, overnight FedEx packages for fit trials, a trip out west and many, many emails the line was born.

Gibson x Living In Yellow is a capsule collection made up of the best everyday basics in feel-good fabrics that will easily take you from work to play. I truly believe that the pieces in this collection will be your most worn items in your wardrobe. It was SO important to me to develop a collection that the busy mom on the go, 8-5 working woman and that the everyday girl could feel confident in. While we will have the classic color offerings, I believe in the power of wearing positive vibrant colors and you’ll see that played out in this line. In addition, we wanted everybody to wear our line – with inclusive sizing this will be possible. Gibson x Living In Yellow will be available in petites and a range of XXS-3X.

We were fortunate enough to have the beloved retailer I mentioned above, Nordstrom, pick up our collection and it will be sold exclusively at launch on their website starting Thursday, March 8th with a second collection launching Marching 22nd.

Yes, I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that in exactly one week from now Living In Yellow will have its name on pieces of clothing being sold at Nordstrom.com. Dreams do come true my friends, I mean that with all of my heart. I am living proof.

So what has life been like the past month and what can you expect from here? February consisted of getting all of the pieces photographed which took place in sunny San Diego with the most amazing photographer, Ashley Strong, who captured the line perfectly. This week we’ve been writing descriptions for Nordstrom’s website, putting the final pieces on our “marketing plan” [which reminds me – be sure to RSVP to our Facebook Live premiere party!] and are preparing for our launch party which is happening Thursday evening at the Nordstrom store on Michigan Ave in Chicago.

It has been a whirlwind of the past four months, but this labor of love is the most exciting [and nerve wrecking] thing I’ve ever brought to this space. I am praying that you will fall in love with a piece or twelve the same way that I have. Without you, this line wouldn’t exist. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting Living In Yellow and allowing this small town Indiana girl to do things beyond her wildest dreams. The relationships that we have built here will always be my greatest and most valued achievement.

Gibson x Living In Yellow, comin’ in hot. Shop the line Thursday, March 8th [International Women’s Day — how cool is that?] at 8 am PST at nordstrom.com.

1. Sarah Jane says:

How cool is that! Congrats!

2. Barb says:

Great job…question…how do you pronounce this? Like, what is the “x” for?

3. KARA says:

CONGRATS! This is awesome! I cannot wait to see the pieces!

4. Kendra Hannah says:

I have been reading your blog for about 3 years now and I just wanted to tell you that your story and how you have built this blog into such a successful business is truly inspiring. I am, too, an Indiana girl (Kokomo) and a dreamer. I have always had a love for fashion (in fact, I had a clothing sketch book in middle school) and am a creative person by nature, For years, I have daydreamed about starting an accessories/jewelry business as creating these things was something I did as a hobby. I always seemed to find excuses (not enough time, I already work full-time, it would take time away from my kids, etc.). But your story has encouraged me to “put on my big girl panties” and go for it! After all, small town Indiana girls know how to hustle!
    P.S. I was soooooo excited to see that your new clothing line encompasses ALL sizes!!!!! I am a XL/1X girl and sometimes shopping for clothes can feel a little bit like the “you can’t sit with us” scene from Mean Girls. Anyways, congrats on the line & keep being awesome!!

• erin says:

Yaaaaaay so excited for YOU that you are going after your dreams and pursuing your passions! There is no greater feeling 🙂 You got this girl!

• You can do it!! Go for your dreams girl!! Make NO EXCUSES!! I WISH I had a wonderful talent like you! You are blessed! Don’t let God or YOURSELF down by not using what He gave you!! Good luck sweetie!!!

5. Kate says:

Hi Erin, that is fabulously exciting, congratulations to you and your team! I absolutely love shopping in Nordstrom when visiting the US (from AUS) and last time I was stateside, it was a daily occurrence. Needless to say, one purchase included another suitcase! The Gibson range looks so soft and comfortable and I can’t wait to see what you’ve created with them.

6. I’m crying reading this because I love dreamers. I’ve been following you for years and even did a call with you and 3 other ladies and you helped me start my blog. I love Nordstrom and I loved hearing this story. A HUGE Congratulations to you. Can’t wait to see the line and buy it all!

7. Valerie says:

I am so excited for you, Erin and your team. I’m also excited to see all your ideas. You have great style and I’m sure this endeavor will be a huge success!

8. I’m thrilled you’re including xxs and petites! I can’t wait to see the line as I have a rough time finding small size sizes! I work for a local Kansas City blog that is part of the City Moms blog network. We would love to piece on this!

• erin says:

That would be awesome!! Let us know how we can make that happen, thank you Laura!!!

9. Erin says:

Been saving my Nordstrom’s gift card for this line! Congrats! I’m excited to do some shopping!

10. Tina sanzone says:

Congratulations! You are an inspiration to the phrase “leap and the net will appear”! I can’t wait to see everything, the little snippets you’ve shown look fantastic!

11. Dorie says:

How exciting! Congratulations on all your hard work and keep dreaming!

12. Payal says:

I am so excited to see your line!!! It’s so refreshing to hear your story and realize that a dream can come true with hard work and dedication!! You (and the LIY team) should be so proud of yourselves!!

13. Amy says:

I’m so excited for you and about this line! Also, that there will be a range of sizes for us short girls! You are so inspiring!

14. Rachel says:

SO SO exciting!! Can’t wait for the launch!

15. Jaime Diehl says:

This is so great, I can’t wait to see everything. My clients will be begging for it!!

16. Maria says:

Erin, I have been reading your blog for years and I am so excited for this! Thank you for being an inspiration to your readers 🙂 Also, congratulations!!!

17. Liasimzy says:

You have a gift and it’s one that thankfully you share. Awesome news! Congrats and enjoy the ride! Super excited for the launch! Cheers to Gibson x LIY!!

18. Erin I am so thrilled for you! Can’t wait to have this line in my closet. Isn’t it wonderful when we can say “My wildest dreams weren’t wild enough!” Praying that this is just the beginning of a grand adventure for you ❤️????

19. Lillie says:

Congrats!!! And thank you for your style advice and business inspiration!

20. Rebecca Haarer says:

I’m so excited to see the creative choices
    That you’ve been pouring your heart
    And soul into! I’ll be there in the middle
    Of all the fun in Michigan Ave nex
    Thursday! Celebrating YOU on
    International Women’s Day!
    – Aunt ????Rebecca ❗️

21. Your story is so inspiring and it’s amazing to seem such a big dream come true! I can’t wait for the launch and to see what pieces (probably all) I will be adding to cart!

Allie / Joy and Ivy

22. Sue Vasko says:

Really Happy for you! You have a great story!

23. Susan Schnitzler says:

This makes my heart sign for you! Isn’t it amazing how every little detail fell into place creating the perfect scenario. March 8th is on my calendar and I cannot wait to fire up my Nordstom card for my inaugural Gibson x Living In Yellow purchase! ????

24. Ashley says:

Will you be doing other events at different Nordstrom stores.. say in Indy?!

25. Pam Runde says:

I have been reading your blog for about three years now and Erin I’m so proud of you!! And excited for the Gibson X Living In Yellow line. You always put a smile on my face. 🙂

26. Congratulations, so great to see a fabulous success story! Keep up the great work and sense of humor!

27. Amy C says:

SO excited for your launch! I work for the little retailed mentioned above and can’t wait to see the line. PS….any chance you know who make the wall art sign in your image above that says “Memories are made of this” #need
    Thanks!

• erin says:

How fun you work there 🙂 That sign came from a local boutique a few years ago! So sorry!

28. Jennifer says:

Congratulations and thank you so much for including petites in your new clothing line!

29. Julia says:

Absolutely fantastic. Congratulations! I am a former retail clothing buyer and now shop at Nordstrom a lot. I will look for your brand. How exciting!!!

30. Traci Bauguess says:

Congrats! One question: Will your line have Tall sizes? Sadly most designers offer petite; but it’s us tall gals that really struggle.

31. Michelle says:

So very excited that you are including petite sizes! Thanks, it’s hard to find great, styles in petite!

32. Nams says:

can u share the link for your black sandals?

33. Corina says:

Congratulations! This is very exciting for sure! I am wondering about the the black one shoulder ruffle top that you are wearing in the first picture of this post…is there a link to that shirt? I am loving it! Thanks!

34. Kathy says:

This is absolutely amazing!!! I just went to Nordstrom, and there it is! And many of the pieces are pictured with YOU wearing them! Who could have ever imagined, and what an amazing accomplishment for you. You should be really very proud of yourself, how far you have come, how you are now Boss Lady to a group of people, your picture is on nordstrom.com, etc. Way to go, girl!!!

Here we are, a solid three days into March, and you should see the amount of Amazon packages that have already been delivered… eek! Wrapping up Winter and getting ready to dive into Spring has us getting our face routines in order, finishing up home reno and organization projects, and  transitioning to lighterweight jackets! And […]

After a year of anticipation, the day has arrived — our Liverpool Los Angeles x LIY Collection is HERE! Before you meet the entire collection below, a few quick words about WHY working with Liverpool has been a natural and super exciting partnership – I fell in love with Liverpool jeans years ago [we’re talking the early days of […]

Two years ago we were just dabbling in the world of Amazon – do people actually buy clothes here? Holy cow there is a lot of stuff! Wait, I can buy THAT on Amazon? And now here we are, basically using Amazon as our Google for any and all shopping that needs to happen. And […]

Here at LIY, we believe cheap wine doesn’t have to taste like cheap wine [not that we would know the difference, since we only ever drink cheap wine]. When it comes to grocery store wines, we know firsthand how overwhelming the options can be. The shelves are stocked with endless options, most of which we’ve […]