If there’s one thing I love [hi, Katy here!] it’s homemade burrito bowl night. My husband and I make this about once a week and I honestly never get tired of it. The beauty of this meal is that you can mix and match it to your liking and it’s great when you have guests over because everyone can all pile on their own toppings. Soooo, turn up the music, mix up some margs, and let’s whip up some burrito bowls from the comfort of your own kitchen!
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE BURRITO BOWLS
As Erin would say, the world is your oyster here! Chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, or none for vegetarian style! We went with pork tenderloin and chorizo here mmmmmm. 1 lb of meat will usually feed 2-4 people!
Seasonings for Meat:
Feel free to use your favorite taco-esque seasonings!
These are my go-to’s for this meal (I would say 1-2 teaspoons of each):
Chipotle Chili Pepper, Paprika, Cumin, Adobo Seasoning (Chorizo will not need much seasoning)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Cilantro for garnish
Black Beans and/or Pinto Beans (optional)
Rice or Cauliflower Rice
Tortilla Chips (optional)
Chipotle Hot Sauce
2 Large Avocados
3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
3 Tablespoons Salsa
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Let’s get to cookin’!
- If using real rice, start this first as it takes the longest. We use a rice cooker – super easy! (takes around 20 minutes to cook)
- Chop up the meat (if needed) into 1/2 inch pieces. Add seasonings in a bowl with the meat and mix together.
- In a dutch oven or large pan, add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to pan and cook the meat on medium-high until thoroughly cooked (usually approx. 10 minutes)
- While the meat is cooking, chop up your onion and cilantro.
- If using Cauliflower rice, add remaining olive oil to a nonstick pan or skillet and cook on medium for 5-10 minutes.
- If using black beans, strain and cook in a separate pan.
- Add all of the guacamole ingredients together in a separate bowl and mix together. (I like to use a fork to smash and mix the avocado for a smooth texture!)
- For a fun buffet style flare, throw your onion, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, and guac in cute ramekins!
- Add your rice base, throw on the meat, and add whatever toppings you desire! IMPORTANT: Add a gracious amount of this Chipotle hot sauce. Even if you’re not a hot sauce fan, trust me this makes the whole thing! ENJOY.
That’s all she wrote! Thank you for cooking with me. I hope you enjoy making (and eating) Homemade Burrito Bowls as much as I do and that this can be an easy staple for you and your family!
When Katy isn’t writing blog posts, offering up the latest style suggestions, leading our Ambassador program and sharing her most recent Amazon finds, you can find her doing what she does best – belting out her note-worthy vocals in her band, Maybe April. This Enneagram 3 can be found cheering on the Arkansas Razorbacks, venturing out on the latest & greatest outdoor adventure, spending time with her family and friends and crafting up her beloved homemade lattes most mornings. Katy and her hubby just welcomed baby Denver to the family!