August has officially made an appearance which can only mean one thing– The time to send the kiddos back to school [one way or another] is here. And if it’s not here for you yet, it’s right around the corner! While it might not look like a traditional school year for most students, one fact remains the same: kids gotta eat. So what was my favorite part of school, you ask? Lunch time, obviously [closely followed by recess, but that’s neither here nor there]. Whether your little scholars are heading back into the classroom, homeschooling or e-learning, LIY is here to make lunchtime fun again. Today the LIY Team is sharing a few of our go-to quick and easy ways to spice up snack time. Because let’s face it, we all need something fun and delicious to look forward to throughout the school year.
DIY Bento Boxes
We get it. Your standard school lunches can get pretty boring. These bento boxes are an easy [and practical] way to bring a little fun to the table. Start small and swap out your main courses and snacks on the side throughout the week. We think basic sandwiches are bologna. Step up your sammich game using these cutouts, available in all sorts of nifty shapes– from butterflies to dinos! Because I think we can all agree that cut-out food is fun food. When it comes to your greens, we recommend slicing into these cutters perfect for veggies at home or on the go. I’ve said it once and I’ll probably say it a few more times: fun shaped food is fun to eat. Here are a few meal ideas to get you started!
The Main Course:
- Cookie Cutter Sandwiches — Why don’t they make these for adults?
- Wraps: Deli Meats & Cheeses + Veggies [Stash them here for safe travels!]
- Quesadillas: May we suggest starting here?
- Homemade Lunchables: Club Crackers + Sliced Meat and Cheese + Sides of Veggies or Fruit [color coordinate with these!]
- Pizza Bagels: Bagel or English Muffins + Pizza Sauce + Desired Toppings, Bake in Oven
- Grilled PB and J: Bread + Peanut Butter/Almond Butter & Jelly [toast on stove and voila!]
Snacks on the Side:
- Shaped Veggies [If we have to eat ’em, they might as well be in cool shapes.]
- Melon Balls: You can use a melon baller [the name alone has me sold], but an ice cream scooper works too!
- Cucumber Bites: Sliced Cucumber + Small amount of Chive and Onion Cream Cheese + Shaved Ham
- Mini Muffins [or full-size, because when we’re talking muffins; who would want a miniature version?]
ps. Need more recipes? You’ll find more foodie ideas here!