For our fall capsule wardrobe, we went with a color scheme of burgundy, blush [a HOT color for fall this year], the ever so popular and reliable black and white with a few shades of gray mixed in. For this capsule, we included one basic long sleeve tee, one button-up top, one faux wrap top, two sweaters, one lightweight suede jacket, one dress, one pair of jeans, one pair of leggings, one trench style jacket, one scarf, one handbag, one clutch and three pairs of shoes. With just these 15 items we were able to come up with 40+ different looks for both work and play. Curious what pieces we chose for our capsule? Here you have em’!
It’s that time again — we’re approaching a new season which means it’s time to bust out a new seasonal capsule wardrobe! If you’ve been following along over the past year, you’ve probably seen another capsule or two on the blog [peep ’em all here] and if you’re new here, you may be thinking “what the WHAT? a fall capsule wardrobe? girlfriend, speak English please.” I get it, I’ve been there – a clueless girl about what in the world a capsule wardrobe is. Before I fill you in on exactly what a fall capsule wardrobe means, let me get a few things out in the open.
For starters, fall fashion is BEST time for fashion [at least in my personal opinion]. From boots to cardigans to leggings, adorable jackets, etc, etc, I can’t get enough. Nothing screams cozy more than layers and fall is the prime time for doing just that. Add in a Caramel Apple Spice [spiked please] and some delicious smelling Bath and Body Works candle and well, time freeze please. Additionally, with the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in full swing [hurry, it ends this Sunday, August 5th!] all of these pieces in this capsule wardrobe are on sale, up to 40% off [double YAY!] Okay, so now back to what this whole capsule wardrobe thing is.
What is a capsule wardrobe?
Pieces in this fall capsule wardrobe:
- BP. Ribbed V-Neck Tee [size up, wearing in small] // other options: BP Ribbed Long Sleeve Tee // Free People long sleeve Treasure & Bond Ribbed Tee // Having a basic long sleeve tee is KEY for building casual, layered looks!
- BP. Plaid Shirt [true to size, wearing in XS] // another option: Caslon Plaid Shirt // Nothing says fall more than a great plaid top! Find something within the color scheme you are using for your capsule and you’ll be amazed at how many ways you can wear this!
- Caslon Faux Wrap Cotton Top [true to size, wearing in XS] // another option: Bobeau Faux Wrap top //Having a top in your capsule that you can easily dress up is crucial for those nights out or days at the office!
- Gibson Convertible Cozy Fleece Wrap Cardigan [size down if in between, wearing in XS] We love this piece for a capsule because it’s 2-in-1 which makes your capsule wardrobe even MORE versatile! You can wear this as a wrap or left open and long for an open sweater! Super cozy!
- Gibson Cozy Fleece Tunic [size down if in between, wearing in XS] Having a tunic in your capsule wardrobe is also a must because of a little thing we like to call: leggings 😉
- Blanknyc Cloud Nine Drape Jacket [true to size, wearing in XS] Again, it’s fall so you’ll want to layer for those cooler days. Adding in a faux suede jacket is an awesome option as it doesn’t add much bulk but can provide a little warmth and allow you to recreate outfits so many ways!
- Ribbed Body-Con Minidress [size up, wearing in medium for a more relaxed fit] Having a dressy piece or two within your capsule is a must, especially if you work in an office! I love this one with sleeves for those cooler days!
- Similar Release Hem Jeans [true to size] // another option: Liverpool Release Hem Jeans // Obviously, you can’t get through creating a capsule wardrobe without a great pair of jeans! Find a pair that fit you well and be ready to rock ’em so many different ways!
- SPANX Faux Leather Moto Leggings [size up if in between, wearing in size small] A favorite purchase of mine! With these leggings you have the comfort of traditional leggings, yet the sassiness perfect for dressing up!
- 1901 3-in-1 Trench Coat with Vest [true to size, wearing in XS] This is another awesome capsule piece because you get more than just a coat with this purchase, you also get a detachable vest which you’ll see below!
- Sole Society Lightweight Windowpane Scarf // other options: Sole Society Scarf // Treasure & Bond scarf // A scarf is a great accessory to add into a fall capsule to give a different visual appeal to outfits and stay warm on cooler days! I’d recommend something on the lighter side rather than a heavy blanket scarf.
- Chelsea28 Leigh Faux Leather Tote & Zip Pouch The perfect bag for your capsule wardrobe! You get a tote and a detachable clutch with this bag [which is so sharp and expensive looking!]
- Nordstrom Sara Leather Wristlet Because the tote above comes with a detachable clutch, you probably wouldn’t even need this wristlet, however, if you wanted an accessory with a coordinating color to your capsule, this is a great option!
- Blondo Giselle Waterproof Sneaker [true to size] // another option: Steve Madden Wedge Sneaker // The casual shoe of the capsule! These are waterproof which is awesome for whatever weather fall decides to bring your way! Super comfortable and can be dressed up or down!
- Blondo Nova Waterproof Bootie [true to size, wearing in burgundy nubuck] You can’t have a fall capsule without the perfect bootie! These again are also waterproof which provides peace of mind on those rainy [maybe snowy] fall days! The burgundy color couldn’t be more perfect for fall!
- Vince Camuto Kochelda Over the Knee Boot [true to size] Last but certainly not least, having a taller boot is a good thing to add to your capsule
Now that you know what makes up this capsule, let’s get to the fun stuff…the outfits! Below you’ll see ALL of the ways that you can mix and match these pieces to create enough outfits to last you a month [or three]. Here we go…
1. The basic white long sleeve tee Outfit One: BP Ribbed Long Sleeve Tee // Gibson Convertible Cozy Fleece Wrap Cardigan // Release Hem Jeans // Chelsea28 Leigh Faux Leather Tote & Zip Pouch // Blondo Nova Waterproof Bootie
8. The Classic Trench Coat Outfit One: 1901 3-in-1 Trench Coat with Vest // BP Ribbed Long Sleeve Tee // Release Hem Jeans // Blondo Nova Waterproof Bootie // Similar Scarf // Nordstrom Sara Leather Wristlet
Holy heck, that was a lot of outfit changes [excuse the sweat and deflated hair]. Hopefully this has been a helpful guide on how to purchase minimal clothing and get maximum outfit opportunities out of it! Capsule wardrobes, you’re pretty magical. Remember, prices go back up Sunday so scuttle on over here and hit checkout before it’s too late!
Shop today’s capsule wardrobe easily below —
Founder and creator of LIY, Erin turned her dream of a hobby blog into a full-time career which she now runs alongside the LIY team! When not in front of her computer screen [with a La Croix or wine in hand] or in front of a mirror taking mirror selfies, you can find Erin spending time on the water, cuddled up with her two pups and husband most likely watching the latest Shark Tank episode, or getting lost in an easy beach read.