Wow, was it time. For years I had been saying that I wanted to redo our master bedroom, but for whatever reason, I just kept putting it off and putting it off until I couldn’t take it anymore. We’ve always had what felt like a “teenager bedroom” to me. I’ve always cared a lot about the main parts of our home [kitchen, living room, you know – the parts guests actually see] and tend to dismiss the areas that are a little more “hidden” from the real world. Our master bedroom for the past several years has housed items we have collected since the day we were married which hi, aging myself here – is now more than 12 years old. Nothing really matched, the bedding was falling apart [literally, there were tears in the comforter and pillowcases], and I just never took an ownership over decorating the space to my true tastes. Fortunately, that has all changed.
Before diving in, it’s always fun to take a look back at the before pictures to appreciate just how far we’ve come…don’t judge.
So yes, as you can see – it needed a little TLC so a little TLC it received. Ready to see the new and improved, much more mature and relaxed looking master bedroom? Here we have it!
Before diving into all of the photos, a few things to address:
- We painted the walls [previously Sherwin Williams Watery] to Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. Almost every human on the planet has this color in their homes these days and now I understand why. It is the perfect greige [sometimes it looks grey, sometimes it looks beige] and is a wonderful neutral that blends well with most colors.
- Most everything you see was purchased from Macy’s [furniture, bedding, rug, curtains] because it turns out that their home department is awesome. We had the furniture delivered and set-up in our bedroom within a week and the quality of all of the pieces are fantastic. Added bonus? You can often find killer sales on their pieces [which is what we did] making the entire redo affordable!
- If I leave out resources of items, please feel free to ask in the comments below and I’ll answer there – I can often be a little spacey when trying to mention EVERYTHING [and I haven’t even had wine yet].
Alright, who’s ready to come into my bedroom and hang for a little while? Yes, that may have been the creepiest thing I’ve ever written on the blog. Doubtful though. Come on in….
Let’s start with all of the bedding details, I’ll break it down for you easily as such:
- For the bed itself we went with this nail button bed in platinum. I kept going back and forth on if I wanted a bed with a footboard or not and finally decided that if there is ever any hope of me making the bed on a regular basis, no footboard would have to happen. So far I am thrilled with the decision and have miraculously made the bed every single day since owning [this literally NEVER happened before].
- For the bedding, I wanted something neutral but not white thanks to puppies and their dirty little paws. I also wanted something with texture so when I found this duvet cover I was stoked. The quality is awesome and it’s a little heavier than our previous duvet without being too heavy. I love that it has a zipper closure which keeps the duvet tucked away nicely inside without ever falling out. I purchased these Lucky brand fringe sheets which are making all of my sleeping dreams come true.
- Onward to pillows and the throw – for pillows I went with these quilted shams in ivory [the material is so luxe and wonderful], the matching shams to the duvet cover [also have zipper closures to keep your pillows nicely inside], and a few decorative pillows including these and this beaded pillow! As far as the throw goes, I love that this one breaks up the duvet and adds a nice texture with the tassels.
Another thing I want to mention is the rug — I was worried that we were going to have TOO much neutral happening so I wanted a piece that would break it up with some color. I didn’t know if putting a rug on the carpet was weird or not but I went with it and I’m pretty happy I did. I chose this Kelly Ripa rug in 5×7 to place under our queen size bed and it works perfectly!
Next up, the furniture. I chose pieces from the Kelly Ripa Hayley collection and we are so.in.love. The chest, dresser and coordinating mirror are all this beautiful mink finish with these round handles that make such a statement. The drawers are so much bigger than we had before allowing us to actually fit everything in there that we need. I love the overall look of these pieces and couldn’t recommend them more. Because they are a lighter finish than our previous bedroom set, they have made the bedroom so much airier and brighter, which I love!
And now for some finishing touches — the nightstand lamps are these pretty little things and for the curtains, I went with these grommet linen curtains in winter white for a polished touch. My sister made the sign [so talented], I picked up this picture frame and added touches of greenery and other gold accents to tie it all together.
And that my friends, completes our master bedroom reveal! Be sure to check out Macy’s for all of your home needs. Off to daydream about how many more hours I have until I can crawl back into bed…the power of a new bedroom, I tell you what.
photos by tina herschberger photography
Disclosure: Thank you to Macy’s and ShopStyle for partnering on today’s post.
Founder and creator of LIY, Erin turned her dream of a hobby blog into a full-time career which she now runs alongside the LIY team! When not in front of her computer screen [with a La Croix or wine in hand] or in front of a mirror taking mirror selfies, you can find Erin spending time on the water, cuddled up with her two pups and husband most likely watching the latest Shark Tank episode, or getting lost in an easy beach read.