Master Bedroom Makeover // Before & After

February 22, 2018

Wow, was it time. For years I had been saying that I wanted to redo our master bedroom, but for whatever reason, I just kept putting it off and putting it off until I couldn’t take it anymore. We’ve always had what felt like a “teenager bedroom” to me. I’ve always cared a lot about the main parts of our home [kitchen, living room, you know – the parts guests actually see] and tend to dismiss the areas that are a little more “hidden” from the real world. Our master bedroom for the past several years has housed items we have collected since the day we were married which hi, aging myself here – is now more than 12 years old. Nothing really matched, the bedding was falling apart [literally, there were tears in the comforter and pillowcases], and I just never took an ownership over decorating the space to my true tastes. Fortunately, that has all changed.

Before diving in, it’s always fun to take a look back at the before pictures to appreciate just how far we’ve come…don’t judge.

So yes, as you can see – it needed a little TLC so a little TLC it received. Ready to see the new and improved, much more mature and relaxed looking master bedroom? Here we have it!

Before diving into all of the photos, a few things to address:

1. We painted the walls [previously Sherwin Williams Watery] to Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. Almost every human on the planet has this color in their homes these days and now I understand why. It is the perfect greige [sometimes it looks grey, sometimes it looks beige] and is a wonderful neutral that blends well with most colors.
  2. Most everything you see was purchased from Macy’s [furniture, bedding, rug, curtains] because it turns out that their home department is awesome. We had the furniture delivered and set-up in our bedroom within a week and the quality of all of the pieces are fantastic. Added bonus? You can often find killer sales on their pieces [which is what we did] making the entire redo affordable!
  3. If I leave out resources of items, please feel free to ask in the comments below and I’ll answer there – I can often be a little spacey when trying to mention EVERYTHING [and I haven’t even had wine yet].

Alright, who’s ready to come into my bedroom and hang for a little while? Yes, that may have been the creepiest thing I’ve ever written on the blog. Doubtful though. Come on in….

Let’s start with all of the bedding details, I’ll break it down for you easily as such:

1. For the bed itself we went with this nail button bed in platinum. I kept going back and forth on if I wanted a bed with a footboard or not and finally decided that if there is ever any hope of me making the bed on a regular basis, no footboard would have to happen. So far I am thrilled with the decision and have miraculously made the bed every single day since owning [this literally NEVER happened before].
  2. For the bedding, I wanted something neutral but not white thanks to puppies and their dirty little paws. I also wanted something with texture so when I found this duvet cover I was stoked. The quality is awesome and it’s a little heavier than our previous duvet without being too heavy. I love that it has a zipper closure which keeps the duvet tucked away nicely inside without ever falling out. I purchased these Lucky brand fringe sheets which are making all of my sleeping dreams come true.
  3. Onward to pillows and the throw – for pillows I went with these quilted shams in ivory [the material is so luxe and wonderful], the matching shams to the duvet cover [also have zipper closures to keep your pillows nicely inside], and a few decorative pillows including these and this beaded pillow! As far as the throw goes, I love that this one breaks up the duvet and adds a nice texture with the tassels.

Another thing I want to mention is the rug — I was worried that we were going to have TOO much neutral happening so I wanted a piece that would break it up with some color. I didn’t know if putting a rug on the carpet was weird or not but I went with it and I’m pretty happy I did. I chose this Kelly Ripa rug in 5×7 to place under our queen size bed and it works perfectly!

Next up, the furniture. I chose pieces from the Kelly Ripa Hayley collection and we are so.in.love. The chest, dresser and coordinating mirror are all this beautiful mink finish with these round handles that make such a statement. The drawers are so much bigger than we had before allowing us to actually fit everything in there that we need. I love the overall look of these pieces and couldn’t recommend them more. Because they are a lighter finish than our previous bedroom set, they have made the bedroom so much airier and brighter, which I love!

And now for some finishing touches — the nightstand lamps are these pretty little things and for the curtains, I went with these grommet linen curtains in winter white for a polished touch. My sister made the sign [so talented], I picked up this picture frame and added touches of greenery and other gold accents to tie it all together.

And that my friends, completes our master bedroom reveal! Be sure to check out Macy’s for all of your home needs. Off to daydream about how many more hours I have until I can crawl back into bed…the power of a new bedroom, I tell you what.

photos by tina herschberger photography

Disclosure: Thank you to Macy’s and ShopStyle for partnering on today’s post.

1. Beth Dietrich says:

LOVE IT. I love your explanation of why you put off your bedroom! We have the exact same reasons.

2. It looks so great!!! Calm and relaxing, as a master should be! I especially love the bedding and pillows you chose.

Allie / Joy and Ivy

3. Julie says:

It looks wonderful! I have a question about the bedidg. Is that a king sized comforter on a queen sized bed? I love how much it hangs over and can never fins something like that. We are about to move to a king sized bed but then it doesnt t leave me any option to size up to. Such decisions! Lol but it looks so nice like that.

• erin says:

It is a queen size comforter actually! I think it is just oversized which works out quite nicely for hiding everything 🙂

4. Kate says:

Where did you get the shelving unit! I love it!

5. Olga says:

It looks SO good! I love the neutral tones, much more calming 🙂

Olga

6. Lisa Pugliese says:

Love the transformation! I too am doing our master bedroom and I see the chest, dresser and mirror are from Macy’s but where are the nightstands from?

7. Teresa Bonney says:

I love your nightstand, but it doesn’t appear to be part of the same collection as your dresser and chest?

8. Laura says:

I love the fabric in your kitchen. Can you share color . Thank you.
    Laura

9. Lindsay says:

I love it! It looks perfect! Did I miss the link for the ladder shelf??

• erin says:

Unfortunately I don’t have a link for that – a local friend of ours makes those and doesn’t sell online 🙁

10. Stacey says:

I love the looks and am regretting buying our super dark furniture two years ago- jealous.
    Curious to know if you sized up on the duvet so it covered all of the mattress?

• erin says:

The lighter furniture has really lightened up the room which is nice but dark always looks good! It is an oversized duvet so no, this is a queen!

11. Jessica says:

This is beautiful. I would never think to go to Macy’s for furniture but I guess I’ll have to check it out!

12. Megan says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Love that it is a little more grown up but still trendy! And it does seem so much airier! And so relaxing! I totally want that furniture!

13. Melissa says:

Love it but everytime I see beautifully made beds they are always queen size. How do you place pillows on a king size bed? Do you need 3 euro size? Also, how do you find a comforter/duvet long enough to cover the sides like that so you dont need a bed skirt?

• erin says:

Great question, I don’t honestly know the answer to this! I would go to Pinterest and search for king size beds and bedding! I get so many ideas there for everything 🙂

14. Lindsay says:

Love it! It’s perfect! Where is the ladder shelf from? Did I miss that link??

15. Kristin B says:

So pretty. Nice work and that is a very popular paint color among decorators. We just used Macy’s to furnish our basement. Couldn’t be happier!

16. Vanessa Barker says:

I love the ladder for the blankets! Can I ask where you got it from?

17. Sherry says:

Is that a quilt rack next to the dresser? Where did you pick that up? Love it.

18. PJQ says:

Bookshelf link?

19. Stephanie says:

Love it! Where are the nightstands from? I don’t see them linked or on the Macy’s site.

20. Amy says:

Love it!! Quick question…are the nightstands from a different collection??

21. Tara says:

Hey! We have the same duvet! What about the curtains? Where did they come from?

22. Heather says:

I just love this! As we speak I’m putting it in my Macy’s shopping cart! Just wondering, the pillows directly behind the cute beaded pillow, do you have a link to those as well? Thanks!!!

23. Courtney says:

Looks WONDERFUL!! Where did you get the leaning bookshelf from?! It matches perfectly!

24. Aimee says:

Where did you get the open shelving unit?

25. Kimberly says:

Beautiful! Where did you get the greenery?

26. Kim says:

Love the neutral bedroom choices. I wish the bedspread came in King size. Thanks for all the links though! Good job on the redo!

27. Carolyn says:

Adding things to my wedding registry now!! Thanks!!

28. You did a fabulous job on this redo…I love everything about the room…wish you had more plants, but that is just me! Thanks for sharing all of it with us!

29. Jaime says:

Can you link to the night stands? It’s not from the same line as the rest of the furniture! I love them!

30. Sara Mendoza says:

Wow, the room looks soooo much bigger, it’s awesome!

31. Kim says:

Where did you get the leaning shelf? And nightstands? I love it all!

32. Kate says:

It looks twice as big as before! Love it all!

33. Kathy says:

Love the makeover! Where did you find the picture over your bed?

34. Angie Timm says:

Where did you get the vases with greenery on top of dresser?

35. Kim says:

Where did you find the print over your bed ?

36. Mindy says:

Where is your actual duvet from- not the cover! I can never find one that large!! Thanks!

37. becky says:

Your new bedroom looks wonderful. I am curious about your old bedroom bedside lamps. They are exactly the print in my daughter’s bedroom. I would love to know where you purchased those.

38. Tina says:

With the bed that you purchased —do you have the box spring and then the mattress on top? If so does it seem to talk?

• erin says:

We do have a box spring and then our mattress! I haven’t noticed any noise if that’s what you are asking!

39. Angela says:

Looks so great! Is it weird that I want to know where your hamper is from? ????

40. Tina says:

Can you post the link of the white pillows you got at Target?

41. Melanie says:

I love everything about your make over! I have been eyeing that duvet cover for over a year now! I just got it it but do not know what duvet to put in it without it looking grumpy. What duvet did you put inside?

42. Jamie says:

I noticed that your curtains are hanging just at, maybe a little in front, of your registers. I’m having this dilemma right now with our front room window because I want to get long curtains but right where they will fall on each side are registers just like yours (in the base board). Do you find this to be a problem blocking the airflow?

• erin says:

I haven’t noticed that it has blocked any of the airflows, but I know exactly what you are talking about!

43. Rachel says:

Love the makeover! I’ve been looking for some inspo for sprucing my house up a little more. The rustic look is my fave!

44. Patricia Theisz says:

Can you please let me know what the textured cream pillows are behind the beaded pillow? They don’t appear to be the euro shams linked and I love them!

Bring on summertime, sunshine, and all the Amazon deliveries. Anyone else feeling this way now that it’s all of a sudden May? Where did the first 4 months go? While we may not know where those months went, we do know the Amazon delivery driver visited our homes a few times, and we don’t see […]

When someone on the Living in Yellow team threw out the idea of an office margarita tasting, we couldn’t say “where’s the tequila?” fast enough! Twist our arms, fine, we’ll taste test the margs! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, we wanted to share our three favorites with you so you can sip them […]

If you’re planning a warm weather vacation, I’ve compiled 20+ outfits from our trip – from travel looks all the way down to my flops.

Let’s just say, until we started working on this post, I had no idea that there were different pillows for different sleep positions. I figured it was a one-size fits all approach, maybe just a preference of firm or soft! Well, needless to say, I was way off. I also learned that over 70% of […]