How To Throw A Favorite Things Party!

November 30, 2017

I don’t know if you’ve heard about these Favorite Things Parties or not, but if you haven’t, I am so happy to finally be introducing you to the concept! Here’s the thing with us girls – we all get fascinated and some may even say obsessed with certain products. When was the last time you bought a new chapstick and then proceeded to tell five of your girlfriends that they MUST try it asap?! Exactly. We talk about these things, we get giddy about these things and we can’t stand knowing that some of our friends may not be using the chapstick. IT’S TIME TO MAKE OUR DREAMS OF EVERYBODY OWNING WHAT WE LOVE A REALITY. Insert a Favorite Things Party. The concept is super simple and the execution is even simpler [that’s where we come into play – recipes, printables, and gift ideas are all outlined below!] The LIY team had our own little favorite things party recently [side note: you can host this at ANY time of the year, it does not need to be a Christmas only event] and thought we would share with you exactly how we did it, what our favorite things were, what we ate and all of that good stuff. Warning: The BBQ popcorn recipe below will be the MOST addicting and wonderful thing you’ve ever tasted.

Let’s start with the basics – what is a Favorite Things party, exactly? Allow me. A Favorite Things party is when you invite any amount of friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, or whomever you want to enjoy an evening of fun with over for an hour or three. The only stipulation? If attending, they must bring a favorite thing of their own under a certain price limit [we did under $10] for the number of people attending the party [note: you bring the same item, just in multiples]. If it is a large group of attendees, I would recommend making the limit $5 or under to keep it as budget friendly as possible. We had five guests [including myself] attending which means I brought 4 of my favorite thing to give away. Before I get too far ahead, here is a printable invitation Becca [LIY Creative Director] made for you to be able to use! She printed on kraft paper cardstock, but feel free to use whatever you’d like! Simply click here to download and print!

Favorite Things Party Invitation – For Print

Now that you’ve invited your guests and they all agreed to come [YAY!] everybody shows up to your home [or wherever you decide to host, this could easily be done in a restaurant] and puts their stack of their favorite item on a table. We put out little name cards so that each person knew where to set their items [don’t worry, we have those printables for you too!] We then had gift bags already on the table clipped with the attendee’s names so each guest could grab their bag and start filling! It is fun to hear WHY your friends love what they do so before everybody just fills their bag maybe encourage everybody to share what they brought and why they love it! Click here to download your own name tag printables!

nametag printables

Curious yet to know what the LIY team brought for their favorite things? Here you have it..

I brought the Zoella Bath Fizz Bar, Becca brought her beloved “All Out Of” Grocery shopping pads, Steph brought the cutest serving platter, Hannah brought her favorite Kristen Ess Leave-In Conditioner and Cassidy brought a bottle of lavender oil! I’ve also included 30+ additional items around $10 or less that would be great options to take to your favorite things party!

Now the most important part, food and drink obviously. It isn’t a party if you don’t have the goods. We wanted to keep things pretty darn simple [we’ve got enough cooking, decorating, all that jazz] to do during the holidays so the easier, the better! On the menu? BBQ Popcorn, Holiday Cheeseball, Cupcakes, and a festive martini! First up, the popcorn!

BBQ Popcorn

Ingredients

• 1 Bag Microwave Popcorn, Popped
  • 4 Tbsp Butter
  • 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/8 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/8 tsp Ground Cayenne, Optional

Instructions

1. Mix all ingredients together in a gallon zip-lock bag.

2. Serve in a bowl or individual popcorn dishes!

Next, this festive holiday cheeseball.

Holiday Cheeseball

Ingredients

• 10.5 oz Goat Cheese
  • 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
  • 1/3 Cup Pistachios, unshelled

Instructions

1. Roll the goat cheese into a ball.

2. Place Cranberries and crushed Pistachios on a large plate. Roll the cheese ball in the berries and nuts, covering it all.

3. Serve with pretzels, crackers, or sliced apples & pears.

For the sweet tooth, cupcakes are a must! You can either make these or buy them from the store. Steph, the baker of the group, made the recipe below [delicious] and Becca also made these adorable cupcake topper printables that you simply tape on a toothpick and stick in!

cupcake topper printable

Frosted Cupcakes

Ingredients

• 1 Box White Cake Mix + Ingredients Cake Mix calls for!
  • 1 Small Box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
  • 1 Container Frosting

Instructions

1. Mix white cake mix, cake mix ingredients, and chocolate pudding mix together.

2. Bake at the recommended time and degrees per the cake mix.

3. Frost with your favorite frosting and serve!

Last but certainly not least, the cocktail. We opted for something super simple – a Smirnoff Peppermint Martini.

Smirnoff Peppermint Martini

Ingredients

• Baileys
  • Smirnoff Peppermint Vodka

Instructions

1. Mix equal parts into a martini glass

2. Garnish with a peppermint stick and enjoy!

And that my friends, is how to throw a successful Favorite Things Party! Are you ready to host? I promise it will be so much fun and you’ll all leave with a handful of new goodies that everybody is excited to try!

If you need some added inspiration on what to take to your favorite things party, here are 30+ ideas all around $10! What would YOU take if you were attending? Drop it in the comments below!

1. Anne says:

What a fun idea! I would definitely be gifting Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Sunset tea tins!

2. Hope says:

Such a fun idea for a party! That BBQ popcorn recipe is calling my name. I’ll definitely be trying it soon!

Hope // Miss Hope Elizabeth

3. Kris says:

I’m really excited to try this party format and as an extreme introvert and homebody that says A LOT!

I’ve been able to download the invitation and the cupcake toppers, but I keep getting an error message when trying to download the name/bag tags. Any advice?

4. Mireille says:

What a cool idea!!

5. Michele says:

5 stars
    This is similar to what my sisters and cousins do each year at Thanksgiving! We don’t have the invitations, and the food consists of the snacks and leftovers and wine from the earlier dinner…. but we each bring an item for all of the others (usually 7 to 15 people). We have so much fun!

6. Briana says:

This is too cute!

Briana | youngsophisticate.com

7. Margie says:

Oh my gosh! I love Favorite Things parties…Here are some of the items we’ve had: Jergens self tanner, Esse nail polish, Assorted Trader Joe products, 3pak socks, coloring books, Epsom salt, bath bombs, Jesus Calling book, dryer balls, wine accessories. So fun!!!

8. Margie says:

Here’s a blog I wrote on my Fave Things party! Hope you like it!

9. Kate says:

Great idea! Can’t wait to do this!

I can print everything else but the name tag printables. I get an error message everytime I click on the link. Anyway to fix this?

10. Kala says:

I’m really looking forward to hosting a party like this – thank you for the resources and the recipes!

Unfortunately, I can download/print everything else but the name tag printables. An error message pops up everytime I try. HELP!

11. Mindi says:

5 stars
    I’d add C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve, Poptacular Spun City cotton candy, Ice Breakers Ice Cubes peppermint gum and Petal Lane Hime dot magnets! My friends and I are just now planning a fave things party!

12. Glenn says:

I have been to a friends in the past and they are fun. She does it a bit different in that you pick a box that has the names of the people attending the party. Each box has 3 names. Usually she has about 30 people at the party.

13. Robin says:

I would add Papermate Flair pens! My cousins and I are going to do this after the craziness of the holidays are over. It will be great to help break up the monotony of our Michigan winter!

Is there a fix or alternate way to get the printable name tags to download and print? All nine of us keep getting the spinning wheel of death and then the error message when we click on the link. We really want to use them so everything matches!

14. This is such a fun idea! Especially for a girl’s night.

15. Kelly says:

This is AWESOME, such a fun idea!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

16. Elizabeth says:

I’ve been to one and loved it! It was a large party but we still only brought 3-5 of the item (can’t remember the exact amount) and then you put our name in the bucket that many times. Names were drawn for each item and if your name was drawn for the item you brought you chose again! This way you still went home with as many items as you brought but you just didn’t get every item. Kinda fun to see which items everyone was hoping for!

Another idea if you want to have a bigger party and keep it in budget.

17. Sue says:

I’ve just made the cupcakes and they are so much lighter in color than your dark choc ones . You said white cake mix and choc pudding . Party tomorrow eve .. thanks !

18. Kim says:

5 stars
    This is such a fun party to have! My girlfriends and I did this last Spring. I chose spring because all of us are so busy during the Holidays and it was nice to get some gifts and fun stuff not around the Holidays. We had a blast!

19. Karen says:

So fun! I’m going to my first Favorite Things Party next week and taking this https://www.ulta.com/dry-shampoo-holiday-trio-pack?productId=xlsImpprod14971557

20. Nicole says:

5 stars
    What a fun idea!!! I host an ornament exchange every year and I think this would add a fun spin to it , I absolutely love that you added Mac and Cheese to the idea list!! Lol

Summertime is the unofficial wedding season, which means there are a lot of anniversaries to celebrate in the summer! And here at LIY, that means gifts to give! Whether that’s you and your significant other or you’re celebrating someone special in your life, we’ve got you covered! From the traditional anniversary gifts [looking at you […]

Another day, another Amazon delivery driver stoppin’ by! With the weather heating up, we’ve been seeing lots of outdoor activities, warm-weather fashion, and home project must-haves getting delivered. Summer is here, and Amazon is making enjoying it a breeze, especially with Prime! Check out the 30+ items we bought and loved on Amazon this month, […]

Welcome to Beauty School, class is officially in session. 😉 Today’s topic of discussion? Makeup Brushes for Beginners. We get it. All the different shapes and sizes can be confusing, so we’re covering all the basics from sponges to spoolies. If you’ve been wondering what each brush is used for or are considering upgrading your […]

When 2020 happened, a lot of us stopped our monthly trips to the nail salons and had to figure out a game plan for keeping our nails looking presentable at home. And that’s where press on nails came into play! We’re not talking about your grandma’s press on nails, either! We’re talking about customizable, highly […]