Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy kicking back in the massage chairs at the nail salon just as much as you probably do. Sure a good pedi can go a long way and quite honestly, I’m not the best at painting inside the lines [but that’s neither here nor there]. Regardless, biweekly trips to the nail salon can get costly and time consuming. But you’re in luck! Today we’re sharing how you can achieve a professional level gel manicure in the comfort of your own home. Disclaimer: I’m no professional by any means, but practice, practice, practice makes [almost] perfect.
What You’ll Need:
- Surface Sanitizer [optional, we recommend this one]
- Nail Dehydrator [optional, prolongs gel longevity]
- CND Shellac Base Coat
- Gel Color [I’m using CND Satin Pajamas]
- CND Shellac Top Coat
- Gel UV LED Nail Lamp
- Nail Kit [Optional, we recommend this one]
- 100% Acetone [for removal] + these clips make the removal process a breeze
- Shape, file, and buff your nails.
- Sanitize the surface of your nails. We recommend this sanitizer, but rubbing alcohol will get the job done too.
- Use a nail dehydrator. This will remove the surface oils on your nails and prep them for the gel.
- Apply a single layer of the CND Shellac Base Coat and allow at least 60 seconds, or the longest setting on your UV lamp, until coat is dry.
- Apply one coat of color and allow at least 60 seconds or the longest setting on your UV lamp until coat is dry.
- Repeat step 5 [2-3 coats of polish depending on personal preference].
- Apply one layer of CND Shellac Top Coat and allow at least 60 seconds or the longest setting on your UV lamp until coat is dry.
- Wipe nails clean with rubbing alcohol.
- File down top, shiny layer of nail.
- Soak a cotton ball with 100% Acetone Polish Remover and place directly onto nail. Secure each cotton ball with foil or use these hassle-free clips.
- Use a cuticle pusher to scrape off polish. If it doesn’t come off easily, continue to soak. This step should NOT be painful!
And that’s all there is to it– hope you nail it!