tee // jeans [size up if in between] // converse [true to size]
It’s a question we get all of the time – “what is your favorite non-sheer white tee?!?!” and I think it’s the endless search that every woman is constantly on. I don’t know why white t-shirts can be so difficult when it comes to finding the “perfect” one, but if there was ever a time to try to find it, it was now. I wear white t-shirts probably more than any other thing. Whether it be with a pair of distressed jeans and converse, under a cardigan or dressed up with some heels, it’s a necessary basic for my wardrobe. Because the question gets asked all of the time, I decided it was time to answer it honestly. The only way to do this was to try out every white t-shirt I could get my hands on. We rounded up 13 white tees from all different retailers at different price points. From v-necks to scoops, to loose and flowy to more fitted and everything in between. To make things a little simpler, once on – we rated each tee on five categories:
The rating system was 1-5 with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best! We are going to start from least favorite to very favorite. I wouldn’t skip right to the end, however, because as you will read in the notes under each shirt, some of them were a personal preference thing. You may like a different neckline than I do, a different fit than I prefer and so on. Regardless, hopefully, this post helps you in your quest to find the perfect white t-shirt! Let’s jump in! One more thing – I am wearing this nude everyday t-shirt bra in all of the tops below! It is currently under $30 so snag it while you can! Alright, here we go…[side note before we actually begin, ignore the awesome shine on my face. It was hot, I was sweaty and well, better days ahead ;)]
1. BP V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – $10 [currently 40% off] – Size up, wearing in medium I have owned this shirt for a couple of years now, however, as you can see above I am not a huge fan of it. This tee felt the “cheapest” of all of them I felt and while I liked the cut of the neckline, the shirt does run small overall. I sized up to a medium and it’s still a little short for my liking.
2. St John’s Bay V-Neck T-shirt – JCPenney – $7 [currently 50% off] – True to size, wearing in small This tee is probably one of the least sheer white t’s that we found. It is a thicker material which helps with that. My only “problem” with this t is that it felt a little matronly to me. I don’t know if it’s the smaller v-neck that I am not used to or what it was, but I personally prefer something a little wider I think. For the price, however, this is a great option if you prefer more chest coverage. This tee is on sale frequently which is another bonus!
3. Monrow Oversized Tee – ShopBop – $58 – True to size, wearing in XS A few things that I loved about this white t-shirt – the fact that it is a heathered white which gives it that washed, soft, vintage look and also the seam that ran down the back. The length is awesome if you prefer something a little longer and the quality felt really nice. The neckline does a go a little lower than others. You can’t go wrong with an oversized tee.
4. Mossimo Relaxed V-Neck Tee – Target – $8 [currently buy one, get one 50% off] – True to size, wearing in small I was very pleasantly surprised by this white t-shirt from Target. Super comfortable, pretty great on the sheer scale [it did get a 4 out of 5 afterall] and the heathered look! The length is perfect, my least favorite thing about it, however, was the neckline. Again, a personal preference but I prefer a little bigger V. Overall, an awesome tee – especially at the $8 price tag!
5. BP. Raw Edge V-Neck Tee –Nordstrom – $17 – True to size, wearing in smallOne of my favorites under $20. This is a newer style that Nordstrom recently released, and I gotta say – it’s pretty darn good. This is super soft, has a great flow to it, runs a little longer in the back and the raw edge detail is fun! This shirt ranked pretty high on the sheerness scale so if you looking to keep what’s underneath a mystery, this may be a good option for you!
6. Culture Phit Adley Short Sleeve Tee with Pocket – Zappos – $30 [currently 40% off] – True to size, wearing in small Probably the least sheer tee in this roundup. You virtually couldn’t see anything underneath! This tee is great if you have a long torso as it is plenty long! What didn’t I love about it? The pocket. It was all sorts of weird to me. I think because it is baggy it just hangs there oddly. Remove the pocket and this tee would be at the top of the list!
7. Lush V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – [currently sold out] – True to size, wearing in small I love this tee and have worn it often. While this exact one is currently out of stock, here is a similar one that is available in the anniversary sale. The fabric is SO soft, it ranked pretty high on the sheer scale and is nice and flowy. It’s also a great tee for a little side tuck if you’re into that!
8. Vintage Wash V-Neck Tee – GAP – $12 [currently 40% off with code HOT] – True to size, wearing in XS but wish I would have ordered in small! This is a great tee, there is no denying that. If you look at how it scored in each category, it is definitely high. I think the only reason it didn’t win my very favorite is because I am not a huge fan of this particular pocket and the small size of it. Otherwise, I love that this tee is longer in the back, really comfortable and is at a great price point!
9. Boyfriend Pocket Tee – Old Navy – $6 [currently 40% off with code HOT] – Size down if you prefer more fitted feel, wearing here in small At $6, this is one of the best t’s in today’s lineup. While I am typically a v-neck girl, I do really like the scoop that this white t-shirt offers. It is barely sheer at all which is another huge plus. This t-shirt does have a small side slit as you can see and also has a seam down the back [which I like!] This is definitely one worth trying! Available in regular, petite and tall!
10. Madewell ‘Whisper’ Cotton V-Neck Pocket Tee –ShopBop – $19.50 – Size down if in between, wearing in XSIf you know me, you know I love these whisper tees. To me, it is the perfect fit as I love the neckline and the fitted [yet not too fitted] feel. It is a little sheerer than others which is probably the biggest downfall. I have owned this for a year or more and it has held up well in the wash. Again. this is heathered which gives it that vintage look. Perfect length for a t-shirt if you ask me! I have em’ in a ton of colors!
11. Halogen Modal Jersey V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – $32 – Size down if in between, wearing in XSThis is probably the most comfortable tee of the lineup! I have worn this one for months and absolutely love it! The material is this really soft stretchy jersey material that feels wonderful on! It does run a little large so if you prefer a more fitted feel I would size down. As you can see from the picture and the rating, it has some sheerness to it but not a ton! A great option!
12. Paige Bexley Tee – Nordstrom – $78 – True to size, wearing in small For starters, this bad boy obviously needs an iron taken to it. This is the priciest white t-shirt that I tried and while the material was amazing [seriously, so soft] I don’t know how much I actually like it. The rating is high because each individual category did score well. I felt like it was the perfect length, the neck for it not being a v-neck was quite comfortable and again, the quality was awesome. I just don’t think for the money this would be my first choice!
13. WINNER – Vintage Soft Pocket Tee – Loft – $15 [currently on sale, no code needed] – True to size, wearing in XSAnd here she is! The winner in all of her white t-shirt glory! When breaking it down by each category, this baby ranked the highest across the board. It has hardly any sheerness to it, is the perfect length, has a little bit of the heather look to it that I love, is a great scoop neck while not being too low, feels like great quality and fits like a gem! I love the price [under $25 and often on sale like it is now!] You really can’t beat this white tee!
tee // jeans [size up if in between] // converse [true to size]
photos by tina herschberger photography
And there we have it – the mission of finding the perfect white t-shirt, accomplished. Which one are you most excited to try? Am I missing a favorite of yours? Do tell below in the comments. Together, we will conquer this quest! #anythingispossible
For great basics to pair with your favorite white t-shirts, we’ve rounded up some cute items from jeans to jewelry, shoes, cardigans and all of that good stuff which you can see below! A white tee is just a white tee until you add pizazz along with it. Get pizzazzed.
Happy white t-shirting it up!
Founder and creator of LIY, Erin turned her dream of a hobby blog into a full-time career which she now runs alongside the LIY team! When not in front of her computer screen [with a La Croix or wine in hand] or in front of a mirror taking mirror selfies, you can find Erin spending time on the water, cuddled up with her two pups and husband most likely watching the latest Shark Tank episode, or getting lost in an easy beach read.