It’s a question we get all of the time – “what is your favorite non-sheer white tee?!?!” and I think it’s the endless search that every woman is constantly on. I don’t know why white t-shirts can be so difficult when it comes to finding the “perfect” one, but if there was ever a time to try to find it, it was now. I wear white t-shirts probably more than any other thing. Whether it be with a pair of distressed jeans and converse, under a cardigan or dressed up with some heels, it’s a necessary basic for my wardrobe. Because the question gets asked all of the time, I decided it was time to answer it honestly. The only way to do this was to try out every white t-shirt I could get my hands on. We rounded up 13 white tees from all different retailers at different price points. From v-necks to scoops, to loose and flowy to more fitted and everything in between. To make things a little simpler, once on – we rated each tee on five categories:
The rating system was 1-5 with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best! We are going to start from least favorite to very favorite. I wouldn’t skip right to the end, however, because as you will read in the notes under each shirt, some of them were a personal preference thing. You may like a different neckline than I do, a different fit than I prefer and so on. Regardless, hopefully, this post helps you in your quest to find the perfect white t-shirt! Let’s jump in! One more thing – I am wearing this nude everyday t-shirt bra in all of the tops below! It is currently under $30 so snag it while you can! Alright, here we go…[side note before we actually begin, ignore the awesome shine on my face. It was hot, I was sweaty and well, better days ahead ;)]
1. BP V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – $10 [currently 40% off] – Size up, wearing in medium I have owned this shirt for a couple of years now, however, as you can see above I am not a huge fan of it. This tee felt the “cheapest” of all of them I felt and while I liked the cut of the neckline, the shirt does run small overall. I sized up to a medium and it’s still a little short for my liking.
2. St John’s Bay V-Neck T-shirt – JCPenney – $7 [currently 50% off] – True to size, wearing in small This tee is probably one of the least sheer white t’s that we found. It is a thicker material which helps with that. My only “problem” with this t is that it felt a little matronly to me. I don’t know if it’s the smaller v-neck that I am not used to or what it was, but I personally prefer something a little wider I think. For the price, however, this is a great option if you prefer more chest coverage. This tee is on sale frequently which is another bonus!
3. Monrow Oversized Tee – ShopBop – $58 – True to size, wearing in XS A few things that I loved about this white t-shirt – the fact that it is a heathered white which gives it that washed, soft, vintage look and also the seam that ran down the back. The length is awesome if you prefer something a little longer and the quality felt really nice. The neckline does a go a little lower than others. You can’t go wrong with an oversized tee.
4. Mossimo Relaxed V-Neck Tee – Target – $8 [currently buy one, get one 50% off] – True to size, wearing in small I was very pleasantly surprised by this white t-shirt from Target. Super comfortable, pretty great on the sheer scale [it did get a 4 out of 5 afterall] and the heathered look! The length is perfect, my least favorite thing about it, however, was the neckline. Again, a personal preference but I prefer a little bigger V. Overall, an awesome tee – especially at the $8 price tag!
5. BP. Raw Edge V-Neck Tee –Nordstrom – $17 – True to size, wearing in smallOne of my favorites under $20. This is a newer style that Nordstrom recently released, and I gotta say – it’s pretty darn good. This is super soft, has a great flow to it, runs a little longer in the back and the raw edge detail is fun! This shirt ranked pretty high on the sheerness scale so if you looking to keep what’s underneath a mystery, this may be a good option for you!
6. Culture Phit Adley Short Sleeve Tee with Pocket – Zappos – $30 [currently 40% off] – True to size, wearing in small Probably the least sheer tee in this roundup. You virtually couldn’t see anything underneath! This tee is great if you have a long torso as it is plenty long! What didn’t I love about it? The pocket. It was all sorts of weird to me. I think because it is baggy it just hangs there oddly. Remove the pocket and this tee would be at the top of the list!
7. Lush V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – [currently sold out] – True to size, wearing in small I love this tee and have worn it often. While this exact one is currently out of stock, here is a similar one that is available in the anniversary sale. The fabric is SO soft, it ranked pretty high on the sheer scale and is nice and flowy. It’s also a great tee for a little side tuck if you’re into that!
8. Vintage Wash V-Neck Tee – GAP – $12 [currently 40% off with code HOT] – True to size, wearing in XS but wish I would have ordered in small! This is a great tee, there is no denying that. If you look at how it scored in each category, it is definitely high. I think the only reason it didn’t win my very favorite is because I am not a huge fan of this particular pocket and the small size of it. Otherwise, I love that this tee is longer in the back, really comfortable and is at a great price point!
9. Boyfriend Pocket Tee – Old Navy – $6 [currently 40% off with code HOT] – Size down if you prefer more fitted feel, wearing here in small At $6, this is one of the best t’s in today’s lineup. While I am typically a v-neck girl, I do really like the scoop that this white t-shirt offers. It is barely sheer at all which is another huge plus. This t-shirt does have a small side slit as you can see and also has a seam down the back [which I like!] This is definitely one worth trying! Available in regular, petite and tall!
10. Madewell ‘Whisper’ Cotton V-Neck Pocket Tee –ShopBop – $19.50 – Size down if in between, wearing in XSIf you know me, you know I love these whisper tees. To me, it is the perfect fit as I love the neckline and the fitted [yet not too fitted] feel. It is a little sheerer than others which is probably the biggest downfall. I have owned this for a year or more and it has held up well in the wash. Again. this is heathered which gives it that vintage look. Perfect length for a t-shirt if you ask me! I have em’ in a ton of colors!
11. Halogen Modal Jersey V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – $32 – Size down if in between, wearing in XSThis is probably the most comfortable tee of the lineup! I have worn this one for months and absolutely love it! The material is this really soft stretchy jersey material that feels wonderful on! It does run a little large so if you prefer a more fitted feel I would size down. As you can see from the picture and the rating, it has some sheerness to it but not a ton! A great option!
12. Paige Bexley Tee – Nordstrom – $78 – True to size, wearing in small For starters, this bad boy obviously needs an iron taken to it. This is the priciest white t-shirt that I tried and while the material was amazing [seriously, so soft] I don’t know how much I actually like it. The rating is high because each individual category did score well. I felt like it was the perfect length, the neck for it not being a v-neck was quite comfortable and again, the quality was awesome. I just don’t think for the money this would be my first choice!
13. WINNER – Vintage Soft Pocket Tee – Loft – $15 [currently on sale, no code needed] – True to size, wearing in XSAnd here she is! The winner in all of her white t-shirt glory! When breaking it down by each category, this baby ranked the highest across the board. It has hardly any sheerness to it, is the perfect length, has a little bit of the heather look to it that I love, is a great scoop neck while not being too low, feels like great quality and fits like a gem! I love the price [under $25 and often on sale like it is now!] You really can’t beat this white tee!
photos by tina herschberger photography
And there we have it – the mission of finding the perfect white t-shirt, accomplished. Which one are you most excited to try? Am I missing a favorite of yours? Do tell below in the comments. Together, we will conquer this quest! #anythingispossible
For great basics to pair with your favorite white t-shirts, we’ve rounded up some cute items from jeans to jewelry, shoes, cardigans and all of that good stuff which you can see below! A white tee is just a white tee until you add pizazz along with it. Get pizzazzed.
Happy white t-shirting it up!