Mission Accomplished – The Best White Tee

July 31, 2017

tee  // jeans [size up if in between] // converse [true to size]

It’s a question we get all of the time – “what is your favorite non-sheer white tee?!?!” and I think it’s the endless search that every woman is constantly on. I don’t know why white t-shirts can be so difficult when it comes to finding the “perfect” one, but if there was ever a time to try to find it, it was now. I wear white t-shirts probably more than any other thing. Whether it be with a pair of distressed jeans and converse, under a cardigan or dressed up with some heels, it’s a necessary basic for my wardrobe. Because the question gets asked all of the time, I decided it was time to answer it honestly. The only way to do this was to try out every white t-shirt I could get my hands on. We rounded up 13 white tees from all different retailers at different price points. From v-necks to scoops, to loose and flowy to more fitted and everything in between. To make things a little simpler, once on – we rated each tee on five categories:

• Sheerness
  • Fit
  • Length
  • Neckline
  • Quality

The rating system was 1-5 with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best! We are going to start from least favorite to very favorite. I wouldn’t skip right to the end, however, because as you will read in the notes under each shirt, some of them were a personal preference thing. You may like a different neckline than I do, a different fit than I prefer and so on. Regardless, hopefully, this post helps you in your quest to find the perfect white t-shirt! Let’s jump in! One more thing – I am wearing this nude everyday t-shirt bra in all of the tops below! It is currently under $30 so snag it while you can! Alright, here we go…[side note before we actually begin, ignore the awesome shine on my face. It was hot, I was sweaty and well, better days ahead ;)]

1. BP V-Neck TeeNordstrom – $10 [currently 40% off] – Size up, wearing in medium I have owned this shirt for a couple of years now, however, as you can see above I am not a huge fan of it. This tee felt the “cheapest” of all of them I felt and while I liked the cut of the neckline, the shirt does run small overall. I sized up to a medium and it’s still a little short for my liking.

2. St John’s Bay V-Neck T-shirt – JCPenney – $7 [currently 50% off] – True to size, wearing in small This tee is probably one of the least sheer white t’s that we found. It is a thicker material which helps with that. My only “problem” with this t is that it felt a little matronly to me. I don’t know if it’s the smaller v-neck that I am not used to or what it was, but I personally prefer something a little wider I think. For the price, however, this is a great option if you prefer more chest coverage. This tee is on sale frequently which is another bonus!

3. Monrow Oversized Tee – ShopBop – $58 – True to size, wearing in XS A few things that I loved about this white t-shirt – the fact that it is a heathered white which gives it that washed, soft, vintage look and also the seam that ran down the back. The length is awesome if you prefer something a little longer and the quality felt really nice. The neckline does a go a little lower than others. You can’t go wrong with an oversized tee.

4. Mossimo Relaxed V-Neck Tee – Target – $8 [currently buy one, get one 50% off] – True to size, wearing in small I was very pleasantly surprised by this white t-shirt from Target. Super comfortable, pretty great on the sheer scale [it did get a 4 out of 5 afterall] and the heathered look! The length is perfect, my least favorite thing about it, however, was the neckline. Again, a personal preference but I prefer a little bigger V. Overall, an awesome tee – especially at the $8 price tag!

5. BP. Raw Edge V-Neck Tee –Nordstrom – $17 – True to size, wearing in smallOne of my favorites under $20. This is a newer style that Nordstrom recently released, and I gotta say – it’s pretty darn good. This is super soft, has a great flow to it, runs a little longer in the back and the raw edge detail is fun! This shirt ranked pretty high on the sheerness scale so if you looking to keep what’s underneath a mystery, this may be a good option for you!

6. Culture Phit Adley Short Sleeve Tee with Pocket – Zappos – $30 [currently 40% off] – True to size, wearing in small Probably the least sheer tee in this roundup. You virtually couldn’t see anything underneath! This tee is great if you have a long torso as it is plenty long! What didn’t I love about it? The pocket. It was all sorts of weird to me. I think because it is baggy it just hangs there oddly. Remove the pocket and this tee would be at the top of the list!

7. Lush V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – [currently sold out] – True to size, wearing in small I love this tee and have worn it often. While this exact one is currently out of stock, here is a similar one that is available in the anniversary sale. The fabric is SO soft, it ranked pretty high on the sheer scale and is nice and flowy. It’s also a great tee for a little side tuck if you’re into that!

8. Vintage Wash V-Neck Tee – GAP – $12 [currently 40% off with code HOT] – True to size, wearing in XS but wish I would have ordered in small! This is a great tee, there is no denying that. If you look at how it scored in each category, it is definitely high. I think the only reason it didn’t win my very favorite is because I am not a huge fan of this particular pocket and the small size of it. Otherwise, I love that this tee is longer in the back, really comfortable and is at a great price point!

9. Boyfriend Pocket Tee – Old Navy – $6 [currently 40% off with code HOT] – Size down if you prefer more fitted feel, wearing here in small At $6, this is one of the best t’s in today’s lineup. While I am typically a v-neck girl, I do really like the scoop that this white t-shirt offers. It is barely sheer at all which is another huge plus. This t-shirt does have a small side slit as you can see and also has a seam down the back [which I like!] This is definitely one worth trying! Available in regular, petite and tall!

10. Madewell ‘Whisper’ Cotton V-Neck Pocket Tee –ShopBop – $19.50 – Size down if in between, wearing in XSIf you know me,  you know I love these whisper tees. To me, it is the perfect fit as I love the neckline and the fitted [yet not too fitted] feel. It is a little sheerer than others which is probably the biggest downfall. I have owned this for a year or more and it has held up well in the wash. Again. this is heathered which gives it that vintage look. Perfect length for a t-shirt if you ask me! I have em’ in a ton of colors!

11. Halogen Modal Jersey V-Neck Tee – Nordstrom – $32 – Size down if in between, wearing in XSThis is probably the most comfortable tee of the lineup! I have worn this one for months and absolutely love it! The material is this really soft stretchy jersey material that feels wonderful on! It does run a little large so if you prefer a more fitted feel I would size down. As you can see from the picture and the rating, it has some sheerness to it but not a ton! A great option!

12. Paige Bexley Tee – Nordstrom  – $78 – True to size, wearing in small For starters, this bad boy obviously needs an iron taken to it. This is the priciest white t-shirt that I tried and while the material was amazing [seriously, so soft] I don’t know how much I actually like it. The rating is high because each individual category did score well. I felt like it was the perfect length, the neck for it not being a v-neck was quite comfortable and again, the quality was awesome. I just don’t think for the money this would be my first choice!

13. WINNER – Vintage Soft Pocket TeeLoft – $15 [currently on sale, no code needed] – True to size, wearing in XSAnd here she is! The winner in all of her white t-shirt glory! When breaking it down by each category, this baby ranked the highest across the board. It has hardly any sheerness to it, is the perfect length, has a little bit of the heather look to it that I love, is a great scoop neck while not being too low, feels like great quality and fits like a gem! I love the price [under $25 and often on sale like it is now!] You really can’t beat this white tee!

tee  // jeans [size up if in between] // converse [true to size]

photos by tina herschberger photography

And there we have it – the mission of finding the perfect white t-shirt, accomplished. Which one are you most excited to try? Am I missing a favorite of yours? Do tell below in the comments. Together, we will conquer this quest! #anythingispossible

For great basics to pair with your favorite white t-shirts, we’ve rounded up some cute items from jeans to jewelry, shoes, cardigans and all of that good stuff which you can see below! A white tee is just a white tee until you add pizazz along with it. Get pizzazzed.

Happy white t-shirting it up!

For your pinning pleasure —

1. I’ve pretty much given up on finding the perfect white tee that isn’t see through. Why must all white tees be see through?

2. Shelly says:

Love your pick and I would have to concur! The hemline is so flattering too.

3. Caitlin says:

Finding a good white tee has been such a struggle! I love how you ranked these. I ended up settling on the Old Navy Boyfriend Tee which I loved so much I bought several more colors! I may have to check out the Loft’s shirt too!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Caitlin

4. Michelle says:

Gap factory favorite tees are amazing. Soft, longer, v-necks and the white is not super sheer. Oh and it’s less than 10$.

5. Julie says:

Love your pick! Very flattering on you and I would have gone with that too!!

6. Tracy says:

Great post, thank you!

7. Wendi says:

I love the American Eagle Soft & Sexy V-Neck Favorite Tee. It’s super soft and not at all see through. It is v-neck, but it is not too low cut.

8. Rusti says:

This is a great post! The Loft tee has been my favorite tee for a couple of years until I recently tried the luxe curved hem tee from Old Navy! It comes in both a scoop neck and a vneck. The fabric is thick, drapes perfectly and so soft. I’ve ordered nearly every color now because I love it so much! Thanks for writing such great content, I LOVE your blog and your style!

9. Christie says:

This is absolutely brilliant to do. It’s amazing to see how different you look in each one! Thank you for tackling this issue!

10. chris says:

Z zupply makes a great white vneck pocket tee (but it has the stylized “droopy” pocket that may not be everyone’s cup of tea)

• Danielle says:

I have and love the z supply tee you are talking about, but after just a few washes mine is pilling. I washed on delicate in cold water. Do you have these issues too?

11. Laura says:

I feel like I’ve found the perfect white T-shirt. Has anyone tried the Current Elliott white tee? I love mine!

12. Catherine says:

Great post! I do have to say that although I’m not always a fan of Gap, I love their tee and have two in white plus several other colors. They all wash very well and are very comfy. I do like the one you chose as well and may need to add it to my rotation.

13. Mandy says:

My fav, Boden Lightweight V Nect T. It comes in a longer length which I need for long torso, is Tts, and a cute slub fabric. I do still wear a cami under it, which you can’t see, just gives added coverage.

14. Meg McDorman says:

The Eddie Bauer V Neck white T shirt is awesome!

• Emma says:

I agree with you Meg! I have been wearing the Eddie Bauer white “favorite t shirt” because it is light but is not see though :))

15. Erin says:

Have you ever worn American Giant? I haven’t but keep thinking of them.! I’d love to see a review of their T’s, sweatshirts and leggings!

16. Megan says:

Thanks for the post but wish more of them offered Tee shirts in petite sizes.

17. Catherine says:

Z Supply tshirts are also amazing! I own in about 10 different colors!

18. Carol Nunn says:

I have been shopping at the Loft for many years but have learned to stay away from any of their t shirts. Always, just after a few washes, little pin holes develop in the fabric. I have complained at the store and the manager informed me it must be my washer causing it! After she walked away an employee pulled me aside & told me that many customers have the same complaint. Any of your readers ever had this problem at the Loft?

• Becky says:

I have had the same problem. I truly think it is the perfect tshirt but they do develop pin holes 🙁

19. Megan says:

I live in white t-shirts and have been searching for the best, non-sheer white shirt for a few years. I probably have 8 different ones in my closet right now and the only ones I wear are the Halogen Modal T-shirt. I absolutely love them!

20. gretchen says:

I love the vintage soft tee too…. and the regularly go on sale sale sale- under $10. My only issue with them is that they shrink in length over time, recommend not drying!

21. H says:

I’m surprised you didn’t include the Caslon one! This was really interesting.

22. Kelly says:

THANK YOU for doing this round up and giving your honest opinion! Off to LOFT!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

23. Barbara says:

Thanks for the list.

What nail color are you wearing in the pictures! Thanks!

24. Kelly says:

You missed Old Navy’s everyday tees. They are the best. The quality may not be the same as some of the above, but at $10 I can get a bunch and toss them when they start to get too worn.

25. Kasey says:

Love this! I have quite a few of the gap vintage tees but the bottom hem always folds up. Grr!! I also love the Madewell v neck. I’m a big fan of JCrew Factory studio tees, great quality and they hold their shape, no pocket. I get them on sale for around $14. Thanks for sharing!

26. B says:

Great reviews. I’m surprised the Caslon Rounded V-Neck Tee didn’t get reviewed. I bought it off your recommendation, and love it! ????????????

27. Lisa says:

You saved me a toooonnnnn of time! Love it! Totally sharing with my peeps! xo

Summertime is the unofficial wedding season, which means there are a lot of anniversaries to celebrate in the summer! And here at LIY, that means gifts to give! Whether that’s you and your significant other or you’re celebrating someone special in your life, we’ve got you covered! From the traditional anniversary gifts [looking at you […]

Another day, another Amazon delivery driver stoppin’ by! With the weather heating up, we’ve been seeing lots of outdoor activities, warm-weather fashion, and home project must-haves getting delivered. Summer is here, and Amazon is making enjoying it a breeze, especially with Prime! Check out the 30+ items we bought and loved on Amazon this month, […]

Welcome to Beauty School, class is officially in session. 😉 Today’s topic of discussion? Makeup Brushes for Beginners. We get it. All the different shapes and sizes can be confusing, so we’re covering all the basics from sponges to spoolies. If you’ve been wondering what each brush is used for or are considering upgrading your […]

When 2020 happened, a lot of us stopped our monthly trips to the nail salons and had to figure out a game plan for keeping our nails looking presentable at home. And that’s where press on nails came into play! We’re not talking about your grandma’s press on nails, either! We’re talking about customizable, highly […]