With summer in full swing, a lot of us have one thing on our mind – swimsuit season. This typically means squeezing in a couple more workouts and consuming fewer calories than winter. I recently went on a hunt to find different ways to change up our eating habits [in a fun and tasty way] and well, as you’ll see in this post I think I may have accomplished said goal.
I’ve noticed all of the craze around the whole vegetable noodle phenomenon and was intrigued. I love me some pasta so realizing I could still have my beloved noodles in a healthier fashion I figured it was worth a shot. To get exactly what I needed I ventured off to Kohl’s [because let’s be real, can you beat their prices and selection?!] I love shopping at Kohl’s for cooking and kitchen supplies. They have such a great supply of cooking utensils, the cutest serving ware on the planet, and of course, clothes to get the job done in 😉 With my spiralizer in hand I was ready to roll.
We put to the test three different recipes for you to try this summer – all absolutely delicious, simple and will leave you feeling great and looking even better! Don’t just take our word for it though – try these out asap and report back on your thoughts! We are going to start with our personal favorite first because OH MY WORD, you have to try this. Regardless of your feelings towards sweet potatoes, I can almost guarantee you will love it!
This salad bowl is made up of a base of sweet potato noodles. You read that right, sweet potato noodles. Thanks to the KitchenAid 5-Blade Spiralizer which will literally make ALL of your noodle dreams come true. Here’s the recipe:
Chipotle Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl
2 Sweet Potatoes, spiralized
4 Ears Sweet Corn (kernels off the cob)
1 Cup Chopped Cilantro
1 Green Pepper, chopped
1 Red Pepper, chopped
1/2 Cup Pepitas
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Water
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Honey
Juice of one orange
Juice of one lime
Generous pinch of Salt
[recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum]
How to make it:
1. Roast the corn – start by cutting the corn off of the cob and in a skillet over medium heat [no oil required], roast the kernels for several minutes, tossing frequently until a nice charred look appears. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Spiralize your sweet potatoes [I recommend using this KitchenAid attachment!]
3. Once you have your sweet potatoes in noodle form, heat a little bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add your sweet potato noodles and toss for a minute or two, until softened. Add in your green and red pepper for the last minute to soften.
4. In a large bowl [we recommend using this Pyrex serving bowl for easy leftover storage!] mix together your noodles, peppers, corn, cilantro, and pepitas together!
5. Mix together all ingredients of dressing and once complete, pour over your noodle salad. Top with any additional cilantro, squeeze of lime and anything else that brings your taste buds satisfaction! Enjoy!
look! all cleaned up with just a snap of a lid thanks to these awesome bowls!
Next up, we have a classic [and oh so easy] grilling recipe that will leave you almost feeling guilty for how little work you have to do for this. I am telling you if you don’t own this Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Sizzle Pan Set it will change your life. At least it did mine. Literally, you can put nearly anything on it and then place it on the grill, on the stove, in the oven and the list goes on! It’s like a one-stop-shop for all of your cooking needs and it’s amazing. For under $40 you can’t beat it! We went with a classic meat and Brussels Sprouts [yum] recipe…
Pork Chops with Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Boneless Skinless Pork Chops
1 lb Brussels Sprouts, cut in half
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Chopped Almonds
1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
How to make it:
1. Salt and pepper both sides of your pork chops.
2. Stir together your chopped Brussels Sprouts with olive oil, maple syrup, chopped almonds, onions, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Add both to your cast-iron pan and throw on the grill! Stir Brussels Sprouts occasionally and flip pork chops until done.
4. Remove pan from grill [remember to use hot pads!] and sit on provided wood hot pad.
5. Drizzle pork and Brussels Sprouts with additional maple syrup, dig in and enjoy!
Celebrate Summer Together Costal Melamine Chip ‘n Dip Server // Celebrate Summer Together 4-pc. Costal Stemless Acrylic Wine Glass Set
Last but certainly not least, we have another vegetable noodle dish. This time with zucchinis and the freshest pesto possible!
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Grilled Chicken
1 lb boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
4 Zucchini, spiralized into noodles
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup Basil Pesto – See Recipe Below
[recipe adapted from Closet Cooking]
2 Cups Packed Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Cloves Garlic
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
2/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Pecorino or Romano Cheese
[recipe adapted from Food Network]
How to make it:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss your tomatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper, and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until they start to carmalize.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and grill for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked. Set aside.
3. Spiralize your zucchini once again using the KitchenAid 5-Blade Spiralizer. Once in noodle form, add to a skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes, until softened.
4. Make your pesto – I love using my NutriBullet to easily get this done! Simply add all ingredients and blend until pesto is complete!
5. Mix together your zucchini noodles, tomatoes, and pesto. Top with grilled chicken and any additional toppings [parmesan cheese anyone?] Serve and enjoy!
Women’s Tek Gear® DRY TEK Slubbed Tank Top [true to size, wearing in small] //
And there you have it – three delicious dinners that will leave you wanting more. The good news is that you can have that second helping a little more guilt free 😉 Which recipe are you most excited to try? If you do, report back on your thoughts – cheers to a healthy and happy summer!
Shop today’s post easily below —
Disclosure: Thank you to Kohl’s and ShopStyle for sponsoring today’s post.